Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

need_help (Officer)     11 June 2012

Stolen valuable in courier

Hi,

One of my relatives sent a valuable through a career. The packet was properly sealed and the valuable was sent in a big box along with other non-valuable.

Issue is: the courier reached the destination with non-valuable item but the valuable item is missing. It was found that the box was opened and sealed back before delivering :(. The valuable was not declaraed and the courier company bill says (at back) not to put any valuable inside courier.

What legal actions can be taken against courier company? (We believe the valuable was removed before shipping)

Looking for some guidance.

regards.

Learning

4 Replies

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     11 June 2012

you may approach consumer forum in this matter.

however, the views are conflicting here....there are a few judgments which say if the Reciept is not signed by the customer then the liability of the courier service provider is not limited.

it has been a general tendency with courier service provider to make alterations in the contents....I have seen on number of occassions, the local employees changing or stealing the goods inside the parcel and then resealing the same.

well, you may have a chance before the consumer forum.

1 Like

cyberlawyer (barrister)     12 June 2012

Can you please tell me which courier is that ?. Out of curiosity what is the valuable item ?

need_help (Officer)     13 June 2012

@ Kiran: Thanks for the response. I have kept the courier packet safe and it has tapes which were used to seal it. I hope something can be done?

@ Javid: I wont be able to tell courier's name. The item was a diamond ring.

Can anyone inform me how we can approach consumer court? Thanks for the help.

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     13 June 2012

seek help of some local lawyer for consumer litigation.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register