LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Subhadeep banerjee (others)     24 October 2012

Contested divorce timeframe

My question is regarding the time needed for getting a contested divorce in India.

I was married in January 2009 in Kolkata by the Special Marriage Act.

I was working in the US in August 2011. My wife filed a false complaint of domestic violence and got me arrested. I was fired from my job. But she left for India with our daughter (3 year old now) before the case went for hearing. I was acquitted and the case was closed and sealed. I have the final order copy of the judgement. My employer agreed to revoke my termination and allowed me to voluntarily resign my position for which, they took an undertaking from me stating that I will not sue my employer for my initial wrongful termination. I came back to India in September 2011.

I filed for divorce on grounds of cruelty in November 2011 in a court in Kolkata. The first hearing was in February 2012 and up to July 2012; the other side did not show up in court. The judge was about to consider the matter ex parte, when in September 2012 the other side finally replied to the original divorce petition. They contested our grounds for divorce denying all allegations of cruelty and filed counter charges of cruelty against myself and my family. However, the other side also pleaded for dissolution of marriage through a divorce decree, stating she does not wish to continue her marriage due to failure of all conjugal ties and cruelty on my part! Once again in the next date in October 2012, the other side did not show up to court. The next date is in December.

In an interesting development, in April 2012 I learnt from my wife’s childhood friend that my wife is staying in Bangalore with my daughter and is living with her former boyfriend. I had the matter professionally investigated and I found it to be true. I have photographic evidence of my wife in close physical contact with an unknown male person on the roadside in Bangalore; holding hands, touching each other, putting arms around each other while walking and also going back together inside the same dwelling. Also, my daughter evidently is going to a school in Bangalore. Hopefully, this proves that she no longer wants to live with me. My lawyer has not yet presented this evidence in court.

Please comment on my current situation and whether I have enough evidence to prove my grounds of cruelty and also whether my case is moving in the correct way, as to how much more time will it take for the divorce to be granted. If the other side shows up to testify, will my evidence hold against them and for how long can they continue their no show?

Thanks

Subhadeep

Learning

6 Replies

vijay (M)     24 October 2012

If you are stil legally married, file for adultery against the boyfriend.  It will make them both see stars in daylight and make your divorce easier.

Subhadeep banerjee (others)     24 October 2012

Thanks,

Yes I am still legally married though living apart from my wife from last August. I do not know the name of the boyfriend though I can say for sure he is not any of their relatives. Hence, is it still possible to file an adultery case against an unknown person? My lawyer has not yet presented the photos in court. Finally how much time will this take as it has already been one year.

Subhadeep banerjee (others)     25 October 2012

thanks for the reply..Considering the fact that the other side is not showing up in court can my lawyer show my wife's photographs with the unknown man in court to press charges of adultery, or can it be done only if the other side shows up? Also, how long can they continue this no-show? will the court not be inclined to force them to appear failing which the verdict may be one-sided?

Subhadeep banerjee (others)     19 December 2012

The honorable court has decided to settle my divorce case ex-parte on account of repeated non-appearance of the other side. The court has instructed for setting up of a date for the final hearing. My lawyer has asked for an ex-parte decree for whoch we are supposed to file an affidavit-in chief for which he has asked for Rs 7500. Kindly comment if the charges are reasonable?

Msk-need -nuetral- laws (self)     19 December 2012

Subhadeep,

I think considering your life matter, it is reasonable.

Mani

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register