Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SK (Operations Manager)     02 June 2014

Construction contract dispute

Dear all

I am an NRI in UAE. In 2012 I had built a house for my personnel use in India. On completion of the work I had a dispute with the contractor and I did not approve his claim for extra works around 5.5lakhs. I had paid hin 32 lakhs. This issue was in the local police station and the contractor had given in writing that he will settle the issue through court. But nothing he did.

But now,

He has sent a lawyer from UAE and has given a complaint against me in UAE court. I really dont know is it possible to run the case here in UAE for a dispute which happened in India? And if I accept the case as I am present I can attend the proceedings but what about the contractor, will he be here in UAE? or his representatives is enough?

I am really confused, please experts in this forum can you please describe me a picture of how this will turn out.

Thanks and regards

SK

Learning

1 Replies

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     03 June 2014

UAE court has no jurisdiction to try the complaint filed by contractor against you as disputed property situates in India,contract to construct house was held in India,disputr regarding extra work or payment arose in India so only Indian court have jurisdiction to try the complaint.Merely you reside in UAE does not confer the jurisdiction in UAE court.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register