LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ankuin (NA)     27 December 2013

Christian marriage registration in andhra pradesh

I am a resident of Hyderabad. I got married earlier this year by a licensed Christian marriage registrar under the 1872 Christian marriage act. For this, a required notice period was given for myself and my wife which is a requirement in Christian weddings in the respective congregations, as well there are witnesses in the wedding who signed on the marriage certificate.
I have marriage certificate signed and stamped by the marriage registrar along with signatures of witnesses, and the license copy of the marriage registrar given by the government of AP indicating that he has authority to perform marriages under 1872 act.

Now I want to register the same in the local Registrar/Sub-Registrar office in order to cut down the hassle of doing the same sometime in future for visa or passport purpose.

My relatives from Bangalore took Christian marriage certificate, got it registered with government of Karnataka in 1-2 days. No notice period, no witnesses....and they got a government certificate indicating that their marriage is registered. They are using the same for visa purpose. This government certificate clearly mentioned that this is a marriage conducted under Christian marriage act of 1872. Not under Special Marriage act.

Now, when I enquired about this in Hyderabad, the local registrar office has pointed me towards registering it under special marriage act which requires to give another notice period, and fresh list of witnesses. This is like getting married another time.

Can someone indicate how I can get my marriage too registered with AP Government under Christian marriage act of 1872 without having to go through special marriage act, 30 days of notice period and fresh set of witnesses.

Learning

1 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     27 December 2013

contact a lawyer in your area, it will be better for best advise.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register