LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hari Mahato (Finance)     24 July 2021

Changing child surname

Dear Lawyers,

this is Hari Mahato and I am in dilemma about a certain situation which I am unable to find any answers to. My son was born 5 years ago in Delhi and we used the family name as Mahato and his birth certificate was made as Sashank Mahato. We also made a passport with this name. Over the time people in our closed relation suggested that none of our relatives are Mahato anymore and we should change it to Sashank Singh. So, I would like to change my son's surname from Mahato to Singh. That is just the surname that we would like to change. I don't how this is going to be done. We are now located in Kharagpur, WB. I have following questions:

1. Do I have to go to Delhi to correct this on birth certificate or can it be done online?

2. Can this cause a trouble in future as the father surname is Mahato and son's surname is Singh?

3. Can the Aadhar card for my son be issued with this updated surname?

4. Can the passport be re-issued with Singh surname?

5. My son has already been abroad couple of times but with this updated surname would the embassies issue visa or would they create trouble?

I would look forward to your help. Thank you so much.




 1 Replies

srishti jain   27 July 2021

As per your question about changes in the Aadhar card, let me brief you about the procedure- 

UIDAI stands for Unique Identification Authority of India and is responsible for issuing and maintaining Aadhar cards. You can change the surname of your child online. Here are a few steps to follow: 

  • The first step is to open the www.uidai.gov.in website. 
  • The second step is to log in using your child’s Aadhaar number. 
  • Thirdly, submit a request for a name change. You can change his surname or both of his names in the specified format. 
  • You will be required to provide valid documents of the name change as approved by the Government. These self-attested documents should be scanned and then added as supporting documents. 
  • The next step is to authorize and verify his name change by inserting the OTP sent to the registered mobile number into the relevant slot. 
  • Once the name change is approved after validating and verifying all your documents and proofs, a message will be sent to your registered number.
  • The update process takes about 90 days and after the process is complete, you can download your e-Aadhaar through the UIDAI site post verification. You can also visit the nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre to get a soft copy of your updated Aadhar card.


As per your question about changes in the passport- 

To change the surname in the passport, you have to visit the Passport Seva Kendra or the official website and apply for a "Re-issue" of passport. 

Download Form No. II for Miscellaneous Services and fill in the required details. Along with the form, the applicant will have to submit the following documents:

  • Original Passport along with a copy of the first two and last two pages that have been self-attested.
  • Based on the reason for the change of name, affidavit, or Deed Poll along with original advertisement in two daily newspapers (this is accepted only 30 days after publishing of the said advertisement) needs to be submitted.

The corrected Passport will be sent to the applicant after a few days.


As per your question about changes in the birth certificate, 

In Delhi, the procedure to make changes in the birth certificate is offline. You can send official papers along with the application form via speed post at the address of the Gazette office. 

Hope it helps, 



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register