LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

nisheet (consultant )     04 March 2012

Change of user from residential to commerciaal


i would like to know the procedure to convert residential apartment to commercial one. I have a ground floor flat with seperate entrance provided by builder itself which I want to convert into clinic. I have obtained NOC from society for the conversion to clinic. Can anyone please guide me with the detailed procedure.

Kind regards,

Dr. Nisheet


 6 Replies

sahil kumar (cosultancy)     05 March 2012


You have to give an application to mcd as well and make sure commercial electricity metre is installed as there is seprate electricity charge for commercial usage.

1 Like

james bhatti (Advocate)     05 March 2012

Dear Dr. If you are living on rent, you can not change the nature of the premises. For this you will have to obtain the written consent of the landlord. If the premises are your own one, submit an application with the Electricity Board for intalling a commercial connection (Electricity).. It is so simple. You are not supposed to worry much.

1 Like

nisheet (consultant )     05 March 2012


Thanks a lot for the reply. @ Mr . James - my property is owned by me. The question is to convert the premise to a residential one and just not the elctricity connection. 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     06 March 2012

You have not stated in which State and in which City your flat is situated. Laws change from State to State. From what you have stated I understand that you own a flat and that you purchased it from a builder as a first purchaser. Since then has a co-operative society been formed? Or is it a condominium? What is the classification of your flat, either when the builder sold it to you, or if and when a co-operative society is formed.

Without giving complete information, whatever advice you get, is unreliable.

nisheet (consultant )     06 March 2012

Hello Dr. Ramani,

Thanks for your reply. My Flat is a third purchase in a 20 yr old building in Mumbai, Maharashtra. its classification is residential. 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     07 March 2012

Again I presume that yours is a co-operative society and not a condominium. In the case of the former the liability to pay municipal  tax is on the Society. The Society will collect it from the member. In the case of a condominium the owner would directly pay his municipal tax.

You go to the municipal office of your ward and apply for a registration certificate. There are so many forms to be filled. They will be available in the municipal office. Fill up those forms and submit them along with the NOC from the Society. Keep with you xerox copies of all that you submit to the Municipality. Also pay whatever amounts are payable and preserve the receipt. Generally they are supposed to inspect the premises before issue of registration certificate.

Wait for a reasonable time, say, one month. If they inspect and give registration certificate, well and good. Otherwise you just start your business.

What all things, which you have as a doctor, you will know better than me.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query