Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

InSearchJustice   17 December 2013

Central govt. probation and confirmation rules

Respectfully,

I am posting my question for all experts, seeking a genuine and timely advice.

I was appointed as Senior Systems Analyst in Pay band 3 (Rs. 15600-39100 with GP of Rs. 6600/- . I joined the service on 9.9.2010 on a probation for a period of one year. i.e. upto 8.9.2011.

Three years earlier, a FIR U/S 406, 498A IPC was registered against me and that was quashed by Honorable Punjab and Haryana High Court in July, 2007.

Therefore while filling up the Special Security Questionnaire, Where information regarding any pending case was asked, i didn't mentioned anything regarding the said case.

My local police verification report stating the above facts that a case was registered and quashed by High Court was sent to my office on 04-03-2011.

Knowing all these facts my office neither issue any notice for further clarification nor issued any letter of probation confirmation or extension till 9.9.2013.

Suddenly after more than three years of my service, Office issued me a letter of probation extension stating the reason that i have violated the rules by concealing the information and  my work, conduct and performance was not up to the mark. So my probation is being extended up to 30.06.2014.

Kindly suggest me if i can move to court against this extension of probation period.

Thanks in Advance for your precious suggestions......

Learning

16 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 December 2013

the said attestation form also contains details of pst criminal record.  you had hidden the same.

InSearchJustice   18 December 2013

Respected Sudhir Kumar ji,

It was asked for any pending case and at the time of joining the service and no case was pending. Kindly suggest , what are my rights in this case.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     19 December 2013

Please see the form again.

This is expected to be four paged form wherein last page there is a questionaire where one of the question refer to past criminal record.

extention of probation on this ground is not a valid decision.  On the contrary disciplinary action would have been more appropriate decision.  But in that case also your probation would have got affected.

InSearchJustice   11 April 2014

Respected Sudhir ji, Kindly suggest as the facts of my case: 1. An FIR was lodged u/s 498A/406 IPC in 2006. 2. I was granted interim Anticipatory bail and made absolute after i joined investigation and the FIR was quashed based on compromise before any challan/chargesheet in trial court in 2007. 3. I joined central govt job in 2010 where it was asked in attestation form that if was ever arrested, procecuted, detained. I replied NA and mentioned NIL before all subsections. 4. I replied so as i was of the opinion that i was never in police/judicial custody. 5. Now my services have been discharged on concealment of facts. Please guide me if there is any saviour for me.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     12 April 2014

1. whether you had joined?
  2. whether started drawing salary?
  3. how deptt came to know that you are giving wrong information?
  4. what procedure has been followed for your discharge?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     27 April 2014

whether any chargesheet show casue notice served to you before discharge?

InSearchJustice   29 October 2014

Respected Sudhir ji

I m sorry if the facts of my case are confusing, let me place the events in order as under.

Distt of Permanent Residence: M

Distt of Registration of FIR: B

S.No

EVENT

DATE

Registration of FIR :  u/s 406, 498A IPC

22-09-2006

Interim Anticipatory Bail

09-11-2006

As per instructions of High Court, Joined Investigation and handed over the draft to complainant.(No Bond or sureity was instructed by court )

15-11-2006

Interim Order passed made absolute on

1-5-2007

After Compromise between parties, FIR quashed by High Court on

24-07-2007

Joined Service in Centre Govt (ON 1 YR PROBATION UPTO 08-09-11) and filled Attestation Form

09-09-2010

Attestation Form Questions:

ANSWER

Q15. Give Details if you have ever been

a) arrested

b) prosecuted

c) Kept under detention

d) Charged before a court with an offence for which you were convicted, conditionally discharged, placed on probation or bound ever or acquitted.

e) Debarred or disqualified by any Public Service Commission for any of its examinations/selections

f) debarred from taking any examination or rusticated by any university

g) Whether discharged/expelled/withdrawn from any training institution under the Government or otherwise:

NA (Not Applicable)

Q16: Is any case or enquiry pending against you in any court of law (including civil litigation) or any other authority, e.g departmental proceedings etc.?

NA (Not Applicable)

SSP Distt M reported the intimation of the said FIR and its quashing.

04-03-2011

Intial period of probation completed and no order of extension/confirmation/termination was received by me and continued in service with full wages since 09-09-2010 

(Date of Joining)

08-09-2011

SSP Distt B reported the intimation of the said FIR but not its quashing rather present under Investigation.

20-11-2012

Show Cause Notice (terminating services) to be replied upto 08-09-2013 on Report by SSP Distt B

04-11-2013

My reply to said Show Cause Notice enclosed the copy FIR quashing order

08-11-2013

Extention of Probation for Six months upto 30-06-2014 alleging furnishing of incomplete/misleading information regarding FIR and unsatisfactory performance

17-12-2013

Request to Review the probation Extension in the light of DOPT OM No. 18011/1/2010-Estt(C) dated Sep 8, 2011 and as no warning/advice was issued to me to improve performance

31-12-2013

Request refused stating confirmation of probation is not automatic but has to be followed by formal orders and that Police Verification Report Still pending

09-01-2014

Transfer Order to Another Centre in Rajasthan

10-01-2014

Charge handed over by me to department

20-01-2014

No Dues issued

27-01-2014

Relieved from duties

29-01-2014

Suddenly Relieving kept in abeyance in evening

29-01-2014

Discharged from Service based on the report dated 14-01-2014 by SSP Distt B that intimated that
 i was arrested and the cancellation report is pending till date in JMIC court

27-02-2014

Respected Sudhir ji

Please advice any legal grounds if in my favour for remedy.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     29 October 2014

So you did not intimate that one FIR was registered and quashed?

InSearchJustice   29 October 2014

Respected Sir,

There was no such direct question about the registration of FIR. If there were a question Like:

Q: Is there any FIR ever registered against you? then i would have answered YES

but there were only 2 questions as i have told earlier.

Please advice me on it.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     30 October 2014

I said what I know.

You also told that the question was

Q15. Give Details if you have ever been

a) arrested

b) prosecuted

c) Kept under detention

d) Charged before a court with an offence for which you were convicted, conditionally discharged,

The history of quashing of 498a case was bound to repeated here.

InSearchJustice   14 November 2014

Respected Sudhir ji Please refer to the judgement at this link and Advice if it can help my case indiankanoon.org/doc/48991954

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     15 November 2014

which judgement?

I have no time to search judgements for you.  Please post link.

what did you reply in response to question 15 as asked by me above.

InSearchJustice   15 November 2014

Respected All,

Kindly refer to the Judgement attached below and advice if it can help in my case.

Central Administrative Tribunal - Jaipur
Unknown vs Union Of India Through The General ... on 27 August, 2012

IN THE CENTRAL ADMINISTRATIVE TRIBUNAL, 
JAIPUR BENCH, JAIPUR.

Jaipur, the 27th day of August, 2012

ORIGINAL APPLICATION No. 97/2012

CORAM :

HONBLE MR.JUSTICE K.S.RATHORE, JUDICIAL MEMBER
HONBLE MR.ANIL KUMAR, ADMINISITRATIVE MEMBER 

Narendra Kumar Chandel son of Daulat Ram Chandel, aged about 30 years, resident of Ward No. 17, Keshavrao Patan, Bundi, District Bundi (Rajasthan). Earlier working as Trainee, Section Engineer.

Applicant
(By Advocate : Mr. Amit Mathur )

Versus

1.	Union of India through the General Manager, West Central Railway, Jabalpur (M.P.).
2.	Divisional Railway Manager, West Central Railway, Kota Division, Kota (Rajasthan).
3.	Chief Electrical Engineer, West Central Railway, Jabalpur (M.P.).
4.	Senior Divisional Electrical Engineer (TRS) (Establishment), West Central Railway, Kota. 

Respondents
(By Advocate : Mr. Tanveer Ahmed)

ORDER (ORAL)

The applicant has filed this OA claiming for the following reliefs:-

(i) The Annexure A/1 dated 07.09.2010 and Annexure A/2 may kindly be quashed and set aside and the respondents may be directed to reinstate the applicant in the service with all consequential benefits.

(ii) any other order or direction which deem fit and proper in the facts and circumstances of the case may also be passed in favour of the applicant.

(iii) Cost of the original application also may be awarded in favour of the applicant.

2. Brief facts, as stated by the learned counsel for the applicant, are that an advertisement was issued by the Railway Recruitment Board, Ajmer in the year 2007 for the post of Section Engineer. The applicant appeared in the written examination and on being successful therein, he was given appointment on the post of Section Engineer by respondents. The applicant on 05.04.2008 deposited his attestation form in the office of the Divisional Railway Manager, Kota. In Para No. 12 of the attestation form (Annexure A/3), the applicant was required to give certain information about the pendency of criminal case against him. The aforesaid information includes whether he has been ever arrested, whether he is ever been charged, whether he has ever been imprisoned and whether he has ever been on bail. In the pursuance to the aforesaid information, the applicant filled no.

3. The applicant was sent on 52 weeks training which he successfully completed. The applicant thereafter appeared in selection for confirmation in the department. However, he was declared unsuccessful. The applicant was declared unsuccessful because of malice on the part of the officer.

4. The office of the District Collector, Bundi, on 01.07.2008 sent a report to the DRM West Central Railway, Kota, informing that one criminal case No. 98/2002 under Section 376, 511 and 354 IPC is pending in the Criminal Court of law against the applicant. The aforesaid information was incorrect. Therefore, again on 17.08.2010, the office of the Superintendent of Police sent report to the respondents informing that a case was registered against the applicant under 454, 376 and 511 of the IPC and the applicant was allowed anticipatory bail and finally the applicant was acquitted in the criminal case on 20.02.2003. After submission of the report by the SP Bundi, a show cause notice was issued to the applicant on 29.06.2010. In this show cause notice, it was mentioned that a criminal case was pending against the applicant under Section 376, 511 and 357 of the IPC which he did not disclose in the attestation form. The applicant in his reply informed the respondents that the case which has been mentioned in the report has already been decided and the applicant has already been discharged. On the basis of the reply given by the applicant, the matter was re-inquired and the office of the Superintendent of Police, Bundi informed the respondents that the applicant has already been discharged in the year 2003 i.e. five year prior to his appointment. Thereafter the respondents passed the order dated 07.09.2010 whereby the services of the applicant was terminated. He further submitted that the applicant did not mention these facts in the attestation form because he was acquitted much prior to the submission of the attestation form and secondly a communication has been published by the Ministry of Home Affairs on 02.07.1982 in which it has been mentioned that in providing information under Column No. 12 of the attestation form, the employee is required to inform any incident which happens three years back and which is not in continuation. The copy of the OM has been enclosed as Annexure A/5. The applicant on the basis of the aforesaid criteria informed the department that no case is pending against him. There was no malafide or ill-intention on the part of the applicant in not disclosing the information about the criminal case. The applicant was acquitted by the Court and there was no appeal/revision by the Government or any other party before the appellate court. Under these circumstances, the applicant mentioned against column no. 12 that there was no criminal case pending against him. Therefore, he prayed that the OA be allowed and to support his averments he referred to the following cases wherein under similar circumstances, the Honble Apex Court and this Tribunal has given the relief:-

(i) Commissioner of Police & Others vs. Sandeep Kumar 2011 STPL (Web) 282 SC

(ii) Ram Kumar vs. State of U.P. & Others MANU/SC/0962/2011

(iii) Kamal Kumar vs. Chief General Manager, BSNL & Another, [OA No. 53/2011 decided on 23.04.2012 by Central Administrative Tribunal, Jaipur Bench]

5. On the contrary, learned counsel for the respondents argued that the applicant got appointment on the post of Section Engineer by concealing the material information and it is the settled position of law that if the appointment is obtained from concealment then the candidate has no right to continue in employment. In this case, it was willful concealment of facts in not providing correct information by the applicant to the employer. Therefore, the action of the respondents in issuing the order dated 07.09.2010 does not require interference by this Tribunal. He further argued that applicant on his verification form dated 05.04.2008 in column No. 12 has shown that neither he has ever arrested nor any prosecution is running against him and he has never been in police custody and thereby concealed the material fact and mislead the respondents and obtained the appointment on the basis of such false information. According to the report of the District Magistrate, Bundi, a criminal case was registered against the applicant and charge sheet No. 156 dated 30.06.2000 was filed against him but the applicant concealed this information. A show cause notice was issued to the applicant on 29.06.2010. He submitted his representation to the respondents. On the basis of the representation of the applicant, the case of the applicant was sent for re-inquiry to the Superintendent of Police, Bundi. The Superintendent of Police, Bundi vide letter dated 17.08.2010 informed that in a case No. 98/2002 for offences under 454, 376 and 511 of IPC, the applicant was granted anticipatory bail on 11.04.2002 and after investigation, charge sheet dated 30.06.2002 filed in the court on 18.10.2002. The trial was conducted by the learned ADJ (Fast Track-2) Bundi in which the applicant was acquitted. He further argued that though the applicant was acquitted in the criminal case but the concealment in itself is not condonable and, therefore, the services of the applicant were terminated vide order dated 07.09.2010. Therefore, the OA no merit and should be dismissed with costs.

6. Heard the rival submissions of the parties and perused the relevant documents on record and the judgment referred to and relied upon by the learned counsel for the applicant. In the present OA, the applicant was acquitted by the Learned ADJ (Fast Track-2) on 20.02.2003 that is about five years prior to the date of his appointment. Even if the applicant would have mentioned the fact that he had faced a criminal trial and was on anticipatory bail and was finally acquitted, that could not have made any difference in appointment of the applicant. Moreover, the Office Memo dated 02.07.1982 published by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Department of Personnel & Administrative Reforms provides as under:-

Participation in any such activities, particularly within 3 years of the date of enquiry, should be considered as evidence that the person is unsuitable for Government employment unless there is, in the interval, positive evidence of a change of attitude. In view of this provision, the applicant did not mention that he had faced a criminal trial and he was acquitted in 2003. Probably the applicant did not mentioned this fact due to fear that if he did so, he would automatically be disqualified.

7. Learned counsel for the applicant drew our attention to the order of this Tribunal in the case of Kamal Kumar vs. Chief General Manager, BSNL, Jaipur & Another [OA No. 53/2011 decided on 23.04.2012]. While passing this order, this Tribunal has also considered the judgment of the Honble Supreme Court in the case of Ram Kumar vs. State of U.P. & Others (supra) andCommissioner of Police & Others vs. Sandeep Kumar (supra). The facts of the case of Kamal Kumar vs. Chief General Manager, BSNL, Jaipur & Another in OA No. 53/2011 are quite similar to the facts & circumstances of the present case. In the case of Kamal Kumar vs. Chief General Manager, BSNL, Jaipur & Another (supra), the applicant was exonerated from the criminal but in the attestation form (Clause 13), this information was not disclosed by the applicant that he had faced judicial proceeding in a criminal case. This Tribunal has in Para No. 8 & 9 of the order in OA No. 53/2011 has passed the following order:-

8. Accordingly, in view of the ratio decided by the Honble Supreme Court, the OA is allowed and the impugned order dated 18.2.2010 (Ann.A/1) canceling candidature of the applicant is hereby quashed and set aside. The respondents are directed to give appointment to the applicant to the post of JTO and pass necessary orders in this regard within a period of two months from the date of receipt of a copy of this order. The applicant shall be entitled for all the benefits from the date of joining.

9. With these observations, the OA stands disposed of with no order as to costs.

8. Since the facts of Kamal Kumar vs. Chief General Manager, BSNL, Jaipur & Another in OA No. 53/2011 and the facts of the present case are quite similar, we deemed it proper to allow the OA and quashed and set aside the impugned order dated 07.09.2010 (Annexure A/1) vide the services of the applicant has been terminated with immediate effect. The respondents are directed to reinstate the applicant on the post of Trainee Section Engineer and pass necessary order in this regard expeditiously but not later than a period of two months from the date of receipt of a copy of this order. The applicant shall be entitled for all consequential benefits from the date of his joining.

9. With these observations, the OA is disposed of with no order as to costs.

(Anil Kumar)				         (Justice K.S.Rathore)
 Member (A)					         Member (J)

AHQ

Attached File : 905147883 unknown vs union of india through the general on 2 august 2012.pdf downloaded: 42 times

InSearchJustice   15 November 2014

Respected All,

Please advice if the DOPT order attached below is applicable in my case.

No.18011/1/2010-Estt. (C) 

Government of India 

Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions 

(Department of Personnel & Training) 

New Delhi 110001 

Dated: September 2011 

OFFICE MEMORANDUM 

SUBJECT: Probation in various Central Civil Services. 

The undersigned in directed to say that the period of probation to be 

prescribed for different posts/services in Central Government have been laid 

down in this Department's O.M. No.F.44/1/59-Ests(A) dated 15.4.1959 as 

amended from time to time. Although instructions exist to the effect that 

save for exceptional reasons probation should not be extended for more than 

a year and no employee should be kept on probation for more than double 

the normal period apart from instructions for timely action on completion of 

probation/confirmation, these are not invariably followed. 

2. With a view to prevent Government servants from becoming possible 

victims of arbitrary actions or inordinate delay in considering completion of 

probation/confirmation, the existing instructions on provisions regarding 

probation in the service/ recruitment rules relating to Central Civil Services 

and Posts have been reviewed. It has now been decided that:- 

(i) If during the period of probation, a probationer has not undergone the 

requisite training course or passed the requisite departmental examinations, 

if any prescribed, or has not been on duty/training for at least 75% of the 

probation period, the period of probation may be extended by such period or periods as may be necessary subject to the condition that the total period of 

probation does not exceed double the prescribed period of probation except 

in the cases mentioned in (ii) below:- 

(ii) the period of probation may be extended for such period as the Central 

Government may think fit in the circumstances of the case in respect of a 

probationer who is: 

(a) under suspension; 

(b) against whom disciplinary proceedings are pending; or 

(c) against whom prosecution for criminal charge is pending. 

(iii) Where a probationer who has completed the period of probation to the 

satisfaction of the Central Government is required to be confirmed, he shall 

be confirmed in the Services/Post at the end of his period of probation, 

having been completed satisfactorily. In such cases, where no order 

extending the probation period has been issued and no order of confirmation 

is issued within one year of completion of the prescribed period of 

probation, the probationer would be deemed to be confirmed in the service/ 

post. 

3. In the Service/Recruitment Rules for all Central Civil Services and 

Posts, in addition to the period of probation, wherever prescribed, 

corresponding provisions, as in para 2 above, may be incorporated in 

consultation with this Department in the light of the above instructions. 

The Hindi Version of this O.M. will follow. 

(P. Prabhakaran) 

Director 

Thanks and Regards 

Attached File : 905147883 18011 1 2010-estt-c-08092011.pdf downloaded: 55 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register