LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vishwa (translator)     10 July 2009

Can you save Gunjan from DV?

Gunjan is a really simple and unsophisticated girl. I believe her mother is no more and her father is said to be a drunkard. Her brothers are also criminal types. Thus she has really no one to stand up for her.

Married off into a family far worse even than her own, her husband is a wastrel who cannot hold down a job and is a minor cheat and crook, according to my sources. Her father in law is again another chronic alcoholic. (For a holy place, Rishikesh has far too many alcoholics) Her elder brother in law is also unemployed and being unmarried, lives in the same house, with all that implies.

The family, if you can call it such, depends on the earnings of her mother in law who is a nurse of sorts employed by a local charitable dispensary. However, her main source of income is from giving illegal medical advice to indigent women and acting as unregistered midwife.

Gunjan is more or less a domestic slave, having to carry out all the domestic tasks. She is not allowed to go out on her own lest she complain about her predicament. But the sore point is the constant verbal and physical abuse that she suffers at the hand of her mother in law, a trule witch.

I can plainly see that Gunjan is a sad symbol of all the evils afflicting Indian women. Not all instances of DV are fictive , there are some real cases too.

My question to the honourable forum members is as follows:

Is it possible for me to write to the authorities setting out the details of this situation? Are they required to take action based on a complaint from third party, not a direct member of the family? Can the authorities take action against me for false complaint etc. even though I believe the details are true to the best of my knowledge?

Of course, when the case is investigated (it will surely be, the local police are always on the lookout for collecting bribes) Gunjan will deny everything and say that she is fine. She will suffer terrible punishment if she does otherwise. Besides, if she quits the place, where will she go, how can she manage? Still, it will be a warning to the wicked mother in law, inciting her to cool down her act. Gunjan will also see that she can get help if at all she wants it.

Please feel free with all your suggestions. Gunjan deserves them!

Vishwa

Learning

12 Replies

Adv. Amita A. Virkar (Advocate)     11 July 2009

yaa....Mr Siva is right.....u should approch to NGO who is working for women...and Mr. vishwa i appriciate ur concern for Gunjan..

Vishwa (translator)     12 July 2009

Thank you Shiva and Amita for your replies. Is there a Womans Rights Commission in each state? Where can I find a list of NGOs?

Vishwa

Vishwa (translator)     12 July 2009

Thank you Shiva and Amita for your replies. Is there a Womans Rights Commission in each state? Where can I find a list of NGOs?

Vishwa

Adv. Amita A. Virkar (Advocate)     12 July 2009

u r most welcm...u will get the list of NGO's From GOOGLE....i find out sm NGO's Frm NET for U...bt pls check it before approaching thm bcoz i dont knw thm personally...

1)Women's Collective,NGO
No. 10, East Street, Kolathur, Chennai - 600 099
Phone : +91-44-25507983, +91-44-25505382
Fax : +91-44-25501257
Email : enquiry@womenscollective.net, womenscollective1@gmail.com

2)Vishwa nirmala prem ashram

Contact Details:

Mrs Gisela Matzer – Executive Director
Vishwa Nirmala Prem Ashram
Plot No. 9, Institutional Area
Knowledge Park I
Gautam Budh Nagar
Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India

Phone: +91 (0)120-2230681, 2322023
Cell: +91 (0)9810774865
Email:gisela_oma_7@yahoo.com

3) saheli - Saheli Group

Room no 147,

1st Nalwali Lane

Gate no. 18, Behrampada,Bandra (E)

Mumbai - 400051.

Maharashtra

Karmayogi : Akthari Shaikh

Tel : - 9967903821  (11am to 2pm)

s_kashelkarnipunge@yahoo.co.in

Website on Karmayog - https://www.karmayog.org/ngo/saheli/

Contact Person - Ms.Vanita K

Phone Cell - 9967252569  (11am- 2pm)

Notes - Saheli Group is support group, working with single and destitute women, particularly from marginalised sections of society, for empowerment in socio, economic and legal status.

4)sanjeevani - Sanjeevani Community Centre

C/o. Sacred Heart Church

Swami Vivekandanda Road,Santacruz (W)

Mumbai - 400054.

Maharashtra

Karmayogi : Fr.vincent thomas

Tel : 022- 26484959  (9am-11am)

info@karmayog.com

Website on Karmayog - https://www.karmayog.org/ngo/sanjeevani/

Notes - Doing community work for women and children.

u r most welcm...u will get the list of NGO's From GOOGLE....i find out sm NGO's Frm NET for U...bt pls check it before approaching thm bcoz i dont knw thm personally...

1)Women's Collective,NGO

Contact Details:

Knowledge Park I
Gautam Budh Nagar

3) saheli - Saheli Group

Room no 147,

1st Nalwali Lane

Mumbai - 400051.

Maharashtra

Notes - Saheli Group is support group, working with single and destitute women, particularly from marginalised sections of society, for empowerment in socio, economic and legal status.

C/o. Sacred Heart Church

Mumbai - 400054.

Maharashtra

info@karmayog.com

1)Women's Collective,NGO

Contact Details:

Knowledge Park I
Gautam Budh Nagar

3) saheli - Saheli Group

Room no 147,

1st Nalwali Lane

Mumbai - 400051.

Maharashtra

C/o. Sacred Heart Church

Mumbai - 400054.

Maharashtra

info@karmayog.com

National commission for womens website:- WWW.ncw.nic.in....where u will get the list of state commisions of womens in india

Vishwa (translator)     14 July 2009

Dear Amita

Thank you for all these valuable links. I am taking up this matter in the best way possible, seeing that I have my bread and butter work to look after as well, I am sure you can understand. However, I have my doubts with regard to NCW whose chairperson Girija Vyas came across as a notorisously callous person and insensitive to issues facing women in recent controversies.

Vishwa

Dear Amita

Thank you for all these valuable links. I am taking up this matter in the best way possible, seeing that I have my bread and butter work to look after as well, I am sure you can understand. However, I have my doubts with regard to NCW whose chairperson Girija Vyas came across as a notorisously callous person and insensitive to issues facing women in recent controversies.

Vishwa

Dear Amita

Vishwa

RAKHI BUDHIRAJA ADVOCATE (LAWYER AT BUDHIRAJA & ASSOCIATES SUPREME COURT OF INDIA)     01 December 2010

Dear Author,

U can contact SAMPOORNA which is loacted in Delhi. U can call me if u need help from NGO in Delhi. M the legal advsior for that NGO. M y cell no. is 9871158578

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register