LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

jagpal Singh (xyz)     28 April 2018

Can the case be maintainable at consumerforum if filed by y

Situation:  X and Y family members jointly bought underconstruction residential unit from a builder. X died intestate..his 50% share (self acquired Property) got to be decided by Civil Court among legal heirs and other claimants who are disputing the X's share. 

There is a delay in completion of the project by three years already by builder resulting fiscal setback to Y. The builder is defaulter for interest and penalty on delayed possession.  

Please advise on A),  B) and C)  

A) Can the case be maintainable at Consumer Forum if filed by Y only against the builder in Consumer Forum before the pendency of matter gets resolved among the legal heirs of X share in court? 

B) Can the legal heirs of X's share be arrayed  as parties at Consumer Forum in running case of Y at Consumer Forum at later stages ? 

C) If Y case is decided at Consumer Forum before legal heirs of X's 50% share are decided by civil court then 

will Y be eligible for the interest and compensation for 50% only ...                                                          or 

another case has to be filed by legal heirs of X's 50% share at consumer forum to get their  interest and compensation from builder?                                           or 

the verdict of interest and compensation be applicable for 100 % share?



 3 Replies

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     29 April 2018

The answer to first query is : YES. For the second query : They cannot be implicated as opponents, if that is what you meant. They can approach the Consumer Forum for their grievances in the matter.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     29 April 2018

It is a fit case to be filed in Consumer Forum against the Builder.  While filing case, you can mention that the other joint owner is no more and his legal heirs are being decided.  If the legal heirs come to a conclusion who should be represented on their behalf, can themselves join the case.


Other cases pending regarding the ownership of the apartment, case against the builder in Consumer Forum is maintainable.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     29 April 2018

Answer to first question is yes.

Move to appropriate consumer fora through a local prudent lawyer clearly mentioning about share of husband (deceased).

Contact and engage a local prudent lawyer in your own interest and benefit.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register