LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Abhishek jaitly (Law Student)     04 September 2016

Can I sue Private institutions for invalid degrees

Respected members, I want to Ask if I can sue my college/private institution like NIIT, Aptech Arena etc for awarding invalid degrees from universities like Mahatma Gandhi University, Meghalaya etc because degrees offered by state/private universities through franchises /study centres outside their territorial jurisdiction are invalid. And I can't apply for further higher studies or private sector jobs. I completed my degree for session 2011-14 so can i sue my institution for compensation and fees i paid. Please guide its a big question for future of many students. Thanks in advance

Learning

8 Replies

KS Johal   04 September 2016

You cannot do these Universities because these degrees are not invalid in any way whatsoever. When a franchise is offered to institutions the original institution have to carry out certain formal checks and the awarding body has to make sure that they comply with certain rules and regulations of the University or institution concerned. If the degrees were invalid the franchise institutions would not be joining the original Universities and also these Universities would not have other institutions as franchises. Certain University degrees or diplomas may not be accepted outside it's jurisdiction. This is because some Universities in other jurisdictions have not accepted or at least know about the curriculum that particular University is providing. Universities in other jurisdictions will want to know more about the University that you studied in so that they can go through the formal procedure in accepting that particular degree. Your original question is wrong in the sense that you are assuming that the degrees that Universities offer in a particular jurisdiction are invalid. Let me give you an example if you wish to be a political leader in another jurisdiction you need to win the hearts of the people who you intend to represent. Even though you may be good in the jurisdiction that you are in and the people may know you quite well but it does not mean that people in another jurisdiction will accept your thoughts and ideas and elect you as a leader. This means that the degree that you may have got or intend to pursue may not be accepted in another jurisdiction it is not because it is invalid it is because they are not clear about the curriculum and standards it has. The jobs that you are applying for may not accept a particular institutions degree or if you're applying for a government job they may also not accept a particular institutions qualification. The answer to your question is that you can only sue the institution if it has made invalid remarks and if they are genuinely misleading the public and falsely providing degree or diplomas. The solution is that you need to enhance your CV or at least try to apply to institutions where you are praising the University that you studied in. Generally you are not praising the University where you studied in, but you are trying to tell your employer that you have gained invaluable knowledge from that institution and that makes you a better person in Society. The institution judging on your ability and knowledge from your CV will definitely give you a course to study and will perhaps a job in government. Please let me know if the information provided helps you or not.

Mistake in the first line please rectify. You cannot 'sue' .......

adv.bharat @ PUNE (Lawyer)     04 September 2016

Dear Abhishek u must be aware before taking admission to such institution.

Kindly go through AICTE web site for the government apprroved technical courses and names of the institution where it had been taught & what is the procedure for its admission, fee etc.

U can get back compensation  & fees u had paid with interest from that instution for runnign courses with out approval of AICTE.

For that u need to file case in district cousumer court through competent lawyer.

If u like my suggesation then give THANK on my profile.

Respected Johal sir and Bharat Sir I would like to update you further about the status of degree that University i approved by Both Ugc and Aicte and DEB/DEC but Ignou rejected my admission application stating degree given by off campus of MGU meghalaya is is invalid as I studied outside meghalaya by mode of Approved study centre.

Another suggestion that I can give you is that you need to clarify from your University whether the degree that you obtained has the same value as the one from the approved study Centre. If it has the same value then other Universities should not reject and classify it as invalid. If they state that it does not have the same value then you need to ask one of your friend to make a fresh application and have it clarified from that angle. If in the conversation they state that it has the same value then it clearly establishes the fact that they are misleading the public. It will be a lot easier if they gave you this inviting on their letterhead. If you find that they are misleading the public, and you have the evidence, then you can pursue this in the court of law.

Mistake in the paragraph above. It will be a lot easier if they gave you this in 'writing' on the letterhead.

@Johal Sir I have study loan going on for the above said course they gave in writing to me and my bank that above said course is approved and valid. But ignou rejected my admission application stating that MGU meghalaya degree from off campus study centre outside territorial jurisdiction of MGU meghalaya is invalid. Thanks in advance

KS Johal   05 September 2016

Please take this matter up with the institution concerned and see what they say in writing.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register