Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Chetan   16 September 2022

Can father sell property without my signature?

We have an agricultural land in a village in Rajasthan. This is since the time of my grandfather's father. May be my grandfather's father and his brothers would have taken this land, so see how old this would be. Neither me nor my father has paid for it. Now I checked the online documents for this piece of land and I got the "Khaata" and "Khasra" numbers. There are names of around 55 people in the "Kaashtkar ki Suchna" for that piece of land including my father's name (XXXX putra YYYY) and all those 55 people are my extended family members. Everybody's names mention their share (hissa), like for some it is mentioned 1/256, for some 1/64 and for my father's name it is 1/384. 

Since my grandfather is no more, so my father's name got added (he probably did the process via a patwari long back) and his name is showing in the "Kaashtkar ki Suchna". Also, my uncle passed away 15 years back and all his three son's names are showing in the "Kaashtkar ki Suchna". My name still does not show in Kaashtkar ki Suchna as my father is still alive and his name shows.

Now, the problem is that the eldest of my uncle's sons (whose name reflects in the Kaashtakar ki Suchna) is asking my father to sign some documents to sell the land. I am worried that my father may fall into their pressure tactics without telling me.

I believe that I also have a share in this land as it is from my ancestors. But right now, the "Kaashtkar ki Suchna" shows my father's name and names of all the sons of my uncle but not my name.

1) Can this land be sold based on only my father's signature without my consent or signature?
2) What can I do to safeguard my rights? Am I right to believe that I have rights in this land?
3) What is the significance of these different people having different shares, like 1/64, 1/256 etc.?

I hope I was able to explain the issue properly.

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register