LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Advocate Gaurav (Advocate)     17 July 2014

Can a husband file case under section 494, 420, 495 ipc ?

  Can a Husband file case under section 494, 420, 495 IPC against her wife after 16 years of void marriage? 


Please read carefully as the following facts are little bit complicate.


A Hindu Girl got married a man. But soon after they started living separately and 2.5 year later they both entered into a divorce deed to put mutual end to their marital bond at home. No court decree was obtained.

Within a year she married another person who is a boy (17 old) and the fact of her 1st marriage was concealed by the wife at the time of 2nd marriage. They lived 13 years have two male children. Now she filed a 498A complaint against her second husband.

In the dispute, second husband now came to know about the fact of her wife’s earlier (1st) marriage.

· Now the family members of wife start making illegal pressure on the 2nd husband.

· Creating false evidence that, “they had not concealed the fact of 1stmarriage”.

· Do physical assault& abduction with 2nd husband.


Please clarify and advice ....

Here wife's 1st marriage is still subsisting. It is not dissolved by court. Therefore her 2nd marriage with the said boy is void. Be it so, whether 2nd husband has any locus standi to file case under section 494, 495, 420 etc. against his wife after 16 years of 1st marriage.





 7 Replies

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     17 July 2014

if first marriage was registered then mutual divorce deed is not valid and the first marriage is still existing only you both agreed and separated mutually

and she again married 17 years old person means what is her age it is not clear 

1 Like

Advocate Gaurav (Advocate)     17 July 2014

Thanks for the reply Sir,

Please consider following points also to have a more light on the case.

  1. At the time of second marriage Lady was 21 years old.
  2. Her first marriage was solemnized according to Hindu rituals but not registered.
  3. The mutually separation was done on a simple affidavit with the witness of gram panchayat members and both the family members.
  4. 2nd husband is trying to collect the evidence of the 1st marriage. But as the event is 16 year old at village. It become very difficult to collect the evidence.

 After above :- 

Now considering the above please suggest following.

  1. Which kind of marriage evidence is proper for filling the case of 494 ?
  2. Is mutually signed affidavit witnessed by members of gram panchyat 16years ago can be considered by Judge as divorce ?
  3. His wife family members are saying that they told the truth of 1st marriage to his mother at he time of 2nd marriage. Bus his mother is No-More ?
  4. Marriage Mediator is Resi. near to his in-laws house and in the influence of his in-law. so ready to give statment in court that,"His in-law's told all the fact's of 1st marriage to his mother". 


Sir, please provide the solution after knowing above. 

Thanks & Regards

Advocate Gaurav (Advocate)     17 July 2014

@ Mr. Raj123, 

Thanks for your reply.... it is really very helpful.

I would be grateful if could provide more detailed guidance after seeing above update on the case ...


Thanks & Regards

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     17 July 2014


Advocate Gaurav (Advocate)     18 July 2014

Dear Mr. Raj,

Mr. Amit is the right person ?

He just typed "Yes" in the reply of the full case and i m not able to understand this much short reply meaning.



Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     18 July 2014

ho gaya bhaiyya

1 Like

Advocate Gaurav (Advocate)     18 July 2014

Thanks Amit ji,

I must say u have a gr8 knowledge on the matter..

Thank you very much for your kind support on the matter. I will need ur guidance in future also.

Thanks & Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register