Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajesh Mumbai (Manager)     11 April 2012

Calculating tax on short term property sale


One of my relatives had purchased a property (A flat in a building) in Mumbai suburb one and a half year ago. Now he is selling the property and purchasing another one in same suburb. The capital gain is around 15-18 lacs. How the tax will be calculated on this transaction? He is a salaried employee.


Thanks in advance.


 2 Replies

Vineet (Director)     13 April 2012

The gain will be added to other normal income and taxed as per normal tax brackets.

BIHARILAL LIYA (abc)     15 April 2012

Since the immovable property is sold within a period of 3 years from the date of acquisition, the gain would be considered under the category of Short Term Capital gains. The gain would certainly be added to other normal income and taxed as per normal rates of income tax.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register