LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sibsankar Datta (Freelance)     07 March 2024

Builder' s violation of joint development agreement

My friend, who is a landowner, tied up with a builder through execution of a Joint Development Agreement duly registered and also given a POA in favour of the builder to initiate all needed formalities, on his  behalf. Now the project is almost over and the builder is creating troubles like not handing over his marked share of the agreed portion and demanding huge money behind any other conditions outlined in the JDA regarding the division of the property and any financial agreements. 
What actions I can initiate against builder?

Learning

5 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     07 March 2024

The landowner can file a suit for specific performance of contract demanding the builder/developer to fulfill the tasks as envisaged in the JDA failing which the court may directly enforce the execution of the conditions of the agreement  

1 Like

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     07 March 2024

Yee.  I agree with the advice of the above expert Sri T.Kalaiselvan Sir.

Sibsankar Datta (Freelance)     13 March 2024

Thank you Sir for your valuable advice. The Developer is now and then changing his stand . While thanking you once again I request you kindly guide us on my next post on this same issue.

Regards,

Sibsankar Datta 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     14 March 2024

You are welome for your appreciations.

You coiuld have posted the next post in this thread itself.

Sibsankar Datta (Freelance)     14 March 2024

Okay Sir, here it is..........

The Owners of a house property handed over the property for development under 50/50  sharing terms, by execution of a registered JDA and also extended a registered power of Attorney in favour of Developer. The project is completed and the Developer has sold out his share to external buyers, but refusing to hand over the share of the owners on the plea that the owners although are entitled for 2 Garages measuring 144 Sq ft super built as per the terms of JDA, has been allotted  beyond their entitlement of 288 Sq ft super built up for 2 garages.  As per the Developer 's interpretation of the JDA terms, the owners are entitled for 2 Garages measuring 144 sq ft of super built-up area each. Thus the owners need to pay compensation of approx. ₹ 10 lakhs, to the Developer, pending which the builder will not hand over possession nor give the original documents or other documents to the landowners.  We the landowners was  convinced by the developer's advocate, before JDA execution, that the owners and the developer are entitled for equal share, but now the advocate is also talking in line with the developer. 

We wonder as to whether, as per terms of JDA, we are not entitled for 50 % of the constructed ground floor, which is reportedly 970 sq ft super built-up area or the contention of the Developer as 288 sq ft stands correct.

For kind perusal to get expert opinion, I am furnishing here below the excerpts of agreement portion in this aspect of entitlement, seeking kind opinion and guidance on our entitlement. 

EXCERPTS: 
Under Owner's allocation in Page 4 against point No.3 of the registered JDA, it is stated as under: 
"That on construction of the multistoried building in the manner as stated hereinabove with qualitative materials the landowners shall jointly entitled to get as follows: 
a)  Owners will get 50 % of the entire sanctioned plan or constructed only.
 b)  The Owners will get the entire area of Second and Third floor and two Car Parking Spaces/ Garages measuring about 144 square feet Super Built-up area each which is within the Owner's allocation.

Again, Under Developer's allocation in page 9 against point No. 27 of the registered JDA it is stated as under: 
"After completion of the building if the measurement  of the Flat, Garage or Unit found excess, the the Owner's shall compensate the Developer at the rate of prevailing market value and similarly if the measurement is less then 50 % of the Owner's allocation, the Developer shall compensate or adjust the amount accordingly.

Based on the excerpts of agreement as reproduced above, we the landowners seek kind expert opinion as to whether we are entitled for  garage Spaces upto 50% of the constructed area, which is reportedly 970 sq ft super built-up or our entitlement is only 288 Sq ft built up area, as contended by Developer, beyond which we need to compensate the Developer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register