Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anurag Gupta (Own)     28 April 2016

Brother & mother will not allow me father's property

To outline:

I am the elder of two sons, but have been living mostly abroad since late 70's.
I moved back to India with my wife and younger son in early 2012, and intended to stay in this home, however my brother (and his wife & two sons) & my mother did not like this idea, and have been very negative towards my family since long.
I do not have any properties due to circumstances abroad.
I have therefore been staying with my wife in her mother's home trying to start a business.
This is has been very stressful & difficult staying in in-laws house for me.
My father informed me (and all our extended family) that he made a registered will in 2008, which we all had seen as well.
He passsed in 2013, and since then we were unable to trace the will as the office it was registered in said that it had been destroyed due to flooding.
Anyhow, the property was then mutated by tehsildaar in to 3 shares - mine, my mothers, & my brothers, and in mc.
My brother already had transferred to his name majority of my father's business, and the shop.
All I want is too now get possession/partition of my third share in this home, so I can sell it any build a home for my family in the city I currently reside.
My brother is not agreeing, and is causing many hurdles by application of stay/injunction etc.
I do not know what to do.

Learning

4 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     28 April 2016

Sir, 

You can sell your share without getting it partitioned, but by virtue of Sections 44/4 - TPA/Partition Act - the third party purchaser won't be able to get possession and the others desiring to continue may exercise their right to pre-emption and purchase their interest out at the market rate  and retain the property in toto

Warm Regards 

Kapil Chandna Advocate 

Anurag Gupta (Own)     28 April 2016

Thank you for your reply Mr. Kapil Chandna.

I am nt at all clued up on Indian laws, so it's very frustrating for me.

I have been told by my local laywers that I must get possession/ownership to be able to sell?

Also, as my mother and brother with family reside in that property - would it be classed as 'dwelling' , and therefore make matters difficult for me? Or, because I am not living with them, it would be a 'divided family' and void the 'dwelling' label on the property?

Please excuse any mistakes and ignrace, I have tried researching online mself and it's all too confusing.

Anurag Gupta (Own)     29 April 2016

Further to my last question, I would appreciate also if someone could let me know how long does the court take for a decsion on a suit for partition/possession?

It would be filed in Ludhiana, and as I am an NRI & homeless would it speed up the matter?

Also, as I am only 1/3 share holder, can the court order a sale (even if mother & brother do not want) of the home, if they find that it is not able to be divided by metes & bounds?

Anurag Gupta (Own)     02 May 2016

Thank you all for your suggestions.

In a twist of fate, the original Will (I believe it is original as it has my fathers signatures, the receipt of registration at the sub-registrar, photo of witness with father, etc.) has been found.

I was initially only go to claim for my 1/3 share, but now according to the will my share is a little more.

My brother in the meantime has I believe filed an application for injunction and suit implying that I have been harassing him for my portion - which is totally false.

Anyhow, I mentioned to him that the will has been found, and still gave him the option to settle, however he is now accusing that the will is fake and playing tactics all I think to gain time.

Please advise how to go about this, as he is complicating matters which are pretty straightforward.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register