LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

akspro123   04 March 2016

British citizen divorce in india


I had got Indian passport at that time we married and she came to UK on my dependent VISA. During the tentue of marriage I got my British Passport but still she has got dependet VISA till 2017. 

We both are staying in India separterly from Nov 2015, though she went to UK alone and stayed there for 1 month . I have decided to file for petition for divource. 

I am planning to give divource her on basis of curel nature to me and my family, as she left us when my mother was seriously ill and in hospital. Of course this sis not the only reason.

Just a quick question, I meet lawyer in India , Mumbai and he mentioned me clearly as I am filling case here she cannot claim my property in UK nor my business, how true is this and I am afraid after seeing divource paper she will leave India immediately and go and stay in my house in UK as she got all the keys. 

Please advice on last point how accurate it is and what all action she can take and how can I safe my business, property I am ready to give equal share but my business was running 3 years before I got married and she has contributed to business my by beng employee just for 6 months max, due to our relationship I removed her name.


 5 Replies

KS Johal   05 March 2016

On what basis did you get a British passport? I need to know this information before I can advise you properly. I will ask you further questions if the story seems to be incomplete.

ibra   05 March 2016


I am a British Indian too. If you happend to either seperated/divorced follow the link.


Being a law abiding British citizen you must have to inform the UKBA about your relationship, this is because you sponserd your wife and she is holding the Dependent visa. 

google for "sponsership under taking form - SU07/12". this form mentioned about sponsor's responsibility towards sponsoror.

Getting divorce in UK is straight forward. 

I think you must withdraw her sponsership by visiting this page 


This is very important. This will free you from being her sponsorer.

get in touch on my e-mail or mobile 00447440449146.

If you want to file divorce, just think about. Because in India 498A , MC, DVC Cases are the weapons for women to harass their husbands. it takes lot of time. I spent 2 yrs for 498a case to finish.

Good luck



I support the reply of rashmi1984.This legal forum is intruded by numerous non legal members, who are here only to while away their time with indecent and irresponsible replies.The ultimate sufferer is the querist.I know that Renuka is a proxy,,,because no woman would use such unparliamentary language. Comming to the query, as the wife is not a permanent resident of Britain divorce applied there is not admissable in British courts. She is still on a dependent visa as per the query.


The words inscribed in this space are"Add value to your reply" If we fail to pay heed one has no right to reply to a legal query being non legal members. Dear querist, What ever the reasons may be for the differences it may be fruitful only if U file divorce in India.
1 Like

ANAMIKA VICHARE (LAWYER)     14 March 2016

You are right no win INdia, first write to British Embassy and cancel her dependent  visa

whether you hv planned to stay in INdai or going back to UK, wht is yor planning about your stay, the answer depends,  in any case,if it is possile to cancel her Dep visa, do it


Thereafter if you are staying in UK, file Petition over there


if not filePetition in INdia


Do not wory about your property as you are ready to give equal share so fine, She wont get naything extra tahn taht


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register