Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Asky   02 September 2015

Am i allowed to withdraw fir before thief is caught?

Hi, am I allowed to withdraw a F.I.R/Missing complaint about my stolen phone? It has been 1 + yr since I filed the fir/missing complaint. The thief has not used the phone or he has changed the imei. I am not comfortable with a police complaint existing on record with my name attached to it for so long. So how can I withdraw it completely? If the thief decides to use the phone sometime after I have withdrwan the complaint, what will happen? Will the IMEI still be blacklisted by Airtel etc and therefore he will get caught? OR eill the imei be removed from blacklist as soon as I withdraw? Thank you.

Learning

2 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     02 September 2015

Check whether sections proposed to be invoked by you are compoundable.

If sections are not compoundable, you won't be able to withdraw the FIR registered by you.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     04 September 2015

I am not a lawyer. Hence I would like to be educated. Theft, like murder, is an offence against the State and not against the victim or the complainant. Public interest will be jeopardised if the FIR is allowed to be withdrawn. Even if the stolen article is returned the thief is guilty. The only exception in the World was the Tansi case against Jayalalitha.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register