Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     10 July 2009

well few may not find logic with this restriction.

in a free economy such kind of restrictions should not be there in terms of education.

but this has been done keeping in view the standards of the profession.

like in medicine a lot is also at stake in litigation....and it takes a lot of hardwork to build professional skills as a lawyer....both on commerical side and technical side.

we used to ve a batch made who was retired principal from some school and was already 60 yrs of age...practically speaking without any prejudice in such kind of law graduates, one may not find good lawyers, though there could be exceptional cases as well.

if restrictions in legal field are not acceptable then let there be no restrictions in other courses and jobs also, let the age restrictions for IAS exams be also removed.

a lawyer's job is equally tough as that of a doctor.....

Raman ( )     11 July 2009

I think it is a debatable topic :)

In my opinion, BCI's intention to improve the quality of the legal profession is no doubt a precious thought, but it's implementation in such a fashion is not agreeable. It can be achieved by many other routes, in order to filter the candidates regardless of his/her age.

Introduce ...

1. Tough entrance exam
  2. Tough Syllabus
  3. Strict Attendance
  4. Moot court participations etc etc etc ...

5. Exam/Interview at Bar Council for enrollment

Law is the only course that can be studied at any age, unlike Medicine. It is purely relied upon critical thinking and analytical reasoning. These abilities can also be cultivated in any filed or individually or at a point of time in Life.  Therefore, anyone can attempt to study Law as long as he meets some conditions, like above 5 points etc ...

How about the legal principle: "Ignorance of the law excuses no one"  ? Should we expect more ignorants now ? Imagine that, a 31 years old woman, who was tortured by husband & her In-laws in her 7 year marital life and finally got divorced w/o any alimony, wanted to study Law to contribute to the society some how ! With BCI's decision, she has to curse herself being in a hapless situation. Why - because she is OLD, crossed thirty, her conscience level is very low .. bla bla bla ... Does it really make any sense here ? Though she made her choice little late, her intelligence could still challenge a currently practicing lawyer who has 10 years experience in any court. This is just an example I made up. 

"Be you ever so high, the law is above you" 

I believe, any profession must walk with legal profession not vice versa. Therefore, I would not compare legal with medical professions at all. Other professions  may have it's own age requirements. BCI can not implement the same. 

Therefore, I would not agree with BCI's decision though I respect it's good thought of elevating the legal profession. 

Please share your thoughts/comments .... thank you. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register