Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

hage nibo (lawyer)     01 April 2009

Advocate's Status

My Query

Sirs,
 hese two querries that have been huntung me for years:

I) Can an advocate attest any documents to be used as a true copy ( As we come across, in any official matters the required documents have to be attested as a proof of it being a true copy)

It should be borne in mind that, usually every form of the like has an instructions to submit supporting documents duly attested by gazetted officer/ZPM/MLA/MP etc. but no mention of Lawyer/Advocate.Isn't it somewhat that needs to be clarified.Kindly provide some clue to get it clarified.

II) Whether an Advocate can plead/argue in the court for his/her  own case in civil as well as criminal case independently?(being petitioner or an accused). If yes/no, under which provision of the Advocate Act or otherwise?

Learning

14 Replies

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     01 April 2009

First Q is No. Advocate should not attest a document that required attestaion by various authority that you mentioned including Notary and Magistrate etc. Secondly, yes advocate can appear with the permission of the Court in his own case.

Ashey   01 April 2009

Yes .. advocate can appear in their own case as party in person

Ashey   01 April 2009

And only the lawyers who are  Notory Public or commissioner of Oaths can attest the documents

vijay dhiman (advocate)     01 April 2009

yes i agree to our e b

Prabhat Kumar (Advocate)     01 April 2009

among the advocates only a notary public is authorise to attest a document.

A lawyer can appear and plead his own case before the court as party in person.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     01 April 2009

Once again I reiterate that unless the advocate is permitted by the court he can not appear and plead his own case. Without the permission of the Court He can not act Like Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde. 

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     01 April 2009

an sdvocate is not a gazetted officer of the state.

an advocate pleading his own case is in the capacity of a litigant and not as advocate. he has to remove his band and gown when arguing his own case. he is just like other litigants appearing in person.

hage nibo (lawyer)     03 April 2009

Tripathi sir,

Thanks a lot . I agree with you that an advocate has to put off his band & gown.After that can he argue to the extent cross questioning opposite party?

Assumi sir,

Is that mean that, in a case where an advocate is a party, he has to seek leave of the court, and if granted he can play double role, as a party and as an advocate, arguing the case for self?

Assumi sir,

Is that mean that, in a case where an advocate is a party, he has to seek leave of the court, and if granted he can play double role, as a party and as an advocate, arguing the case for self?

Assumi sir,

Assumi sir,

Assumi sir,

Assumi sir,

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register