Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Advice need 138 of NI Act

Dear All My Ld. Senior Friend.

i have query in trial proceeding u/s 138 of NI Act.

i am defending a case for the accused in the matter of 138 of NI Act

1) during the course of cross examination of  Complainant, i have pray before the Ld. Magistrate to direct the complainant to provide the Partnership Deed, Excise return and the court pleased to pass the order and directed the complainant to provide the same.

2) before starting the further cross of complainant again i reminded the court that i have not yet recd the requisite document as order/directed by the court.

3) the complainant submitted that those documents are in nature of personal property of the firm hence will not produce the same before the court.

4) after the above submission of complainant , the hon’ble court ordered me to take the further cross examination

Now my query is as under:.

a)     Can I pray before the hon’ble court to stop the proceeding u/s 258 of Cr. PC

b)     Or can I filed a discharge application after evidence u/s 245 (1) of Cr. PC.

c)     Pls give me any judgments  favoring my matter

Thanking you in Advance

Navin Joshi, Advocate

Learning

16 Replies

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     28 July 2010

If you can provide a copy of the complaint and notice , we will give a series of quesions in cross.

IT IS EASY TO WIN A NI 138 CASE. CASES ARE NOT WON BY THE COMPLAINANT BUT LOST BY THE ACCUSED.

Now that the complainant does not produce as ordered by court file a comtempt petition. At the same time get summons for secondary evidence from concerend depts.

It you are lax here you will be late later.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     31 July 2010

Our problem starts with "LEARNED".

Adesh Kumar Sharma (Senior Associate Lawyer)     07 September 2010

Dear Mr. Joshi,

You need to submit before the Court that you need a specific defence towards those documents, and you have to satisfy the court that as to what defence is to concluded through those documents. Further you need to show to the court if those documents are not produced the right of accused to make a proper defence wud be prejudiced. 

For this purpose you need to move a specific application under section 91 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973, which be read as hereunder:

91. Summons to produce document or other thing.

(1) Whenever any court or any officer in charge of a police station considers that the production of any document of or other thing is necessary or desirable for the purposes of any investigation, inquiry, may issue a summons, or such officer a written order, to the person in whose possession or power such document or thing is believed to be requiring him to attend and produce it or to produce it at the time and place stated in the summons or order.

(2) Any person required under this section merely to produce a document or other thing shall be deemed to have complied with the requisition if he causes such document or thing to be produced instead of attending personally to produce the same.

(3) Nothing in this section shall be deemed -

(a) To affect, sections 123 and 124 of the Indian Evidence Act, 1872 (1 of 1872), or the Bankers, Books Evidence Act, 1891(13 of 1891), or

(b) To apply to a letter, postcard, telegram or other document or any parcel or thing in the custody of the postal or telegraph authority.

If your application is rejected by the Court then you must go for revision, surely you wud get relief.

If the Complainant do not answer to any specific question put by you during trial or fails to produce document, then you can take benifit of section 349 of Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973, which be read as under:

349. Imprisonment or Committal of person refusing to answer or produce document.

If any witness or person called to produce a document or thing before a Criminal Court refuses to answer such question as are put to him or to produce any document or thing in his possession or power which the Court requires him to produce, and does not, after a reasonable opportunity has been given to him so to do, offer any reasonable excuse for such refusal such Court may, for reasons to be recorded in writing, sentence him to simple imprisonment or by warrant under the hand of the presiding Magistrate or Judge commit him to the custody of an officer of the Court for any term not exceeding seven days, unless in the meantime, such person consents to be examined and to answer, or to produce the document or thing and in the event of his persisting in his refusal he may be dealt with according to the provisions of section 345 of section 346.

I hope you wud be satisfied.

Thanks

Adesh Kumar Sharma (Senior Associate Lawyer)     11 September 2010

Mr. Tigrania, .....if you need den I can hire you for my office as sweeper... Respond me as soon as possible.

Adesh Kumar Sharma (Senior Associate Lawyer)     11 September 2010

well to say bout it, you know it well who is dirtiest and ugly. for proof you can see your photo which you pasted on your profile..........It wud be good for you if you accept my offer.

Rajesh Gurjar (boss)     14 September 2010

oye,, sharmaji aur tigraniyaji bus karo yaar,,, tussi dono apas me kyon kichad phek rahe ho yaar,, isme aur to kuch ho na ho par apni vakil biradri par dhabbba jaroor lagega 

vijay singh (engineer)     13 October 2010

Dear All,

I am living outside India. I needed 2.5 lac rupees in india to meet some expenses so my childhood friend arrage from someone on 3rs interest . I was not in india when i took money from him. There was no legal proof and i did not sign any stamp that time. But lateron when i came to india he asked me to provide him cheque. I had given him 3 blank cheque thinking in mind that every month he will withdraw 80000-90000rs through that cheques. But lateron i arranged money from other friend and i gave him and i told him once i come back to india in september 2010 i will collect money from him. But before i reach India he presented 2 cheques out of 3 cheques and filling false amount of 5,25000/- and 475,000/- rupees. And i was not aware of that. I received a notice from his lawyer that i had borrowed 10 lac rupees from him and put allegation under section 138.

I replied through my lawyer immediately and mentioned my friend took 3 cheque from me and asked him through reply to return all 3 cheques. And i replied that how that guy will pay me 10 lac rupees even he doesnt have job anywhere and his father is a  retired from job. There was no written agreement between my friend and me. How someone can give 10 lac rupees without any written agreement.

I have given blank cheque on good faith and i was not aware of the disadvantages. Kindly suggest me what should i do now if he will go to court against me and i dont work in india.

Please suggest me what should i do now.

Regards

Vijay Singh

Ravikant Soni (LAWYER IN JAIPUR)     14 October 2010

The submission of complainant is wrong. Nothing of the documents are in nature of personal property before the court. If once court ordered to file documents and complnt not filing the same than evidence law says court shall take adverse inference against complnt.

Follow procedure as suggested by Mr Sharma.

best of luck/.

vijay singh (engineer)     14 October 2010

I am grateful to you Mr. RaviKant Soni Ji to revert back with your advice in a very short time. Few more question i need to ask.

1)     My friend sent me 15 days notice period through his lawyer on 10th September 2010 and and i replied to him through my lawyer on 13th September 2010. Now his 15 days notice expired on 24th September 2010. As per rule he can move to court under section 138. Is there any time period define in law that his lawyer has to file the case within that defined time span after 15 days of notice period.

2)     And i come to India twice a year. If a court summon comes in my absense what will happen kindly suggest.

Regards

Vijay Singh

Adesh Kumar Sharma (Senior Associate Lawyer)     20 October 2010

Dear Mr. Singh,

The complainant can file complaint before the court of law   after 15 days  is expired of the receipt of legal demand notice. After 15 days but in next 30 days he has to file the complaint.

If you are staying abroad then you can take benifit of section 205 and 317 of the code of criminal procedure code. You have to file an application under these section before the court praying for permanent exemption from you personal appearance in the court. Thereby You can authorise your lawyer to appear on your behalf in your absence. 

The section be read as hereunder:

205. Magistrate may dispense with personal attendance of accused.

(1) Whenever a Magistrate issues a summons, he may, if he sees reason so to do, dispense with the personal attendance of' the accused and permit him to appear by his pleader.

(2) But the Magistrate inquiring into or trying the case may, in his discretion, at any stage of' the proceedings, direct the personal attendance of the accused, and, if necessary, enforce such attendance in the manner hereinbefore provided.

317. Provision for inquiries and trial being held in the absence of accused in certain cases.

(1) At any stage of an inquiry or trial under this Code, if the Judge or Magistrate is satisfied, for reasons to be recorded, that the personal attendance of the accused before the court is not necessary in the interests of justice, or that the accused persistently disturbs the proceedings in court, the Judge or Magistrate may, if the accused is represented by a pleader, dispense with his attendance and proceed with such inquiry or trial in his absence, and may, at any subsequent stage of the proceedings, direct and the personal attendance of such accused.

(2) If the accused in any Such case is not represented by a pleader, or if the Judge or Magistrate considers his personal attendance necessary, he may, if he thinks fit and for reasons to be recorded by him, either adjourn Such inquiry or trial, or order that the case of' such accused be taken up or tried separately.
Thanks

vijay singh (engineer)     20 October 2010

Thanks for giving time to my query Sharma Ji.

As you said after 15 days of legal demand notice person has to file the complaint in next 30 days. But if a person does not file complaint in next 30 days. What will happen?

Is it favourable to me?

Regards

Vijay Singh

Adesh Kumar Sharma (Senior Associate Lawyer)     21 October 2010

Mr. Singh, 

It may be somewhat favourable to you but the proviso of section 142 (b) empowers to the magistrate to take cognizance after the prescribed period of one month. So the complainant has to move an application along with the complaint to condone the delay in filing of the complaint. But he must show the genuine cause of such delay only then application may be allowed.

Thanks

DEEPAK ASSOCIATES (08010117611)     23 October 2010

If you are ready to pay ambically the amount taken by you then approach your friend and settle the issue.

If you are not ready to pay then file a complaint to police or Court in this regards u/s 406 & 420 stated all facts

Further noted in case of : Krishna Janardhan Vs Dattatreya 2008(1) RCR (Civil) 499 : That as per section 269-SS of the Income tax Act the loan amount more than Rs 20000/- is to be made by way of an account payee cheque i.e. cash payment of such huge amount is not admissible. The presumption of innocense is a human right.

the choice is yours 

DEEPAK ASSOCIATES (08010117611)     23 October 2010

I agree with Mr Aadesh Kumar Sharma

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register