LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RAMESH KISANI (Managing Director)     17 August 2020

Accused granted bail by magistrate in non-bailable offence

Mumbai Police registered FIR against an Accused who committed offence under section 506 Part - II which is Cognizable and non-Bailable. Police did not arrest the accused immediately after FIR, so Complainant was repeatedly requesting all senior police officers via emails to arrest the Accused. Complainant did not get any response from any police officer for more than 3 weeks about the status of arrest of accused. Suddenly, after 3 weeks, Police informs Complainant via phone that Accused was arrested about 15 days ago and the Accused has been let-off on Bail by Metropolitan Magistrate. Had Complainant been informed by Police as soon as the accused was arrested, the Complainant would have exercised his right to oppose the Bail to be granted by Court to the Accused at the time of hearing of Bail Application. 

My questions are 

(1) Does a Metropolitan Magistrate has the power to hear and to grant Bail to an accused who is charged for having committed a serious offence like 506 Part - II of IPC:??

(2) Can a Metropolitan Magistrate release the Accused on Bail, that too, on same day, without first remanding the Accused to Police Custody??

(3) Can a Metropolitan Magistrate release the Accused on Bail, as soon as the Bail Application is filed, without calling for SAY from the Police??

(4) Is it not Mandatory for the Police to inform the Complainant / Victim about the arrest of the Accused as soon as he is arrested by Police, giving the Complainant an opportunity to remain present in the Court and to oppose the Bail Application filed by the Accused??

Thanks

Learning

4 Replies

{Balu manikantan} SUBRAMANYAM (Practising Advocate)     17 August 2020

As per the original IPC, section 506 is non cognizable.

Coming to your questions.

(1) Does a Metropolitan Magistrate has the power to hear and to grant Bail to an accused who is charged for having committed a serious offence like 506 Part - II of IPC:??

Answer is yes, as 506 IPC is trialable by the magistrate.

(2) Can a Metropolitan Magistrate release the Accused on Bail, that too, on same day, without first remanding the Accused to Police Custody??

YES, Grant of bail is the discretionary power of a magistrate.

(3) Can a Metropolitan Magistrate release the Accused on Bail, as soon as the Bail Application is filed, without calling for SAY from the Police??

No, A bail petition will not be decided without hearing the Public prosecutor.

(4) Is it not Mandatory for the Police to inform the Complainant / Victim about the arrest of the Accused as soon as he is arrested by Police, giving the Complainant an opportunity to remain present in the Court and to oppose the Bail Application filed by the Accused??

No,The complainant after giving a complaint id only given a FIR and after the police files charge sheet he will be sumoned by the court for giving his evidence as prosecution witness.

Opposing the bail is the duty of the public prosecutor the complainant need not be informed by the police.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     18 August 2020

You are complainant or representing the complainant, if it is not an academic exercise ?

RAMESH KISANI (Managing Director)     18 August 2020

Good morning sir. I am a Complainant / Victim. I wanted to oppose the Bail Application personally, if at all Police would have informed me about the arrest of the Accused. I was deprived of my right to oppose the Bail as I was not even aware when the Accused was arrested, when he was produced in MM Court by Police.

P. Venu (Advocate)     18 August 2020

The ratio laid down in the above mentioned Order of the Kerala High Court (Vishnu Gopalakrishnan v. State of Kerala) has been that "Notice to de-facto complainant need not be issued in Bail Application except in cases where law insists so."

Incidentally,  the accused in the case had been registered under IPC 420 and 406.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register