Wife died accidentally but in-law harassing me and my family

Hello Everyone recently my pregnant wife passed away due to an unfortunate accident. But my in-laws started harrassing me and my family by spreading rumor that it was a murder. they posted about it on social media, Whatsapp and spread this messages across community that it was murder. But police investigation showed and post moterm report result showed that it is an accident but they denied to accept post moterm report as well. They are still spreading rumors about this incident as murder. My families reputation is at stake.

We want to file a case of manhani can we do it?????

What evidence do i need to collect to prove that what they have done has damaged our reputation??? 


You can file criminal case against your in-laws under section 499 of IPC for defamation. Provide proofs of defamation of messages spread on social media by your In-laws.

Retired employee.

You are already in distress.  Do not complicate the issue and maintain silence for some days.  Unless there is a police case, they can not do any thing.  First issue a legal notice and then make a complaint to police on such defamatory statements, and let them confess before police to end the matter once for all.


Certainly, you can initiate civil as well criminal action. However, before rushing for any such step things could be taken in the stride and with compassion.


Actually we do not want to file any charges but my inlaws are giving fake news in newspaper that police has registered a case against me, but in reality they have been investigating it as an accident. My wife and i both are single child and we agreed since beginning that we would consider each others parents as our own parents so i want to take care of my father in law and mother in law. But their relatives are imposing their ideas that it is a murder, they are trying to fake complain against me. When that didnt work they accused my family of bribing police and doctor for making this incident a accident. I loved my wife like crazy, but i am also angry that i didnt get to do my wifes last rites. I do not want any issues with her parents, as i am the only support they have got. And i really want to take care of them but they are compelling me to take action by using bad language and false accusition towards my parents.



Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


Search Forum:


  LAWyersclubindia Menu