LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Norbu Lama (Finance Officer)     24 October 2011

Advocate enrolment

I am a government servant and a law graduate. I have four more years before retirement and I want to practice law thereafter. Meanwhile I want to clear the Bar Council qualifying exam for which I need to be enrolled as an Advocate. Can I apply for advocate enrolment with the Guwahati Bar Council?

Learning

7 Replies

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     25 October 2011

Government servant cannot enrol.Wait for your retirement.

A.P.Loganathan (advocate Madras High Court)     25 October 2011

The government regulation permits for the enrolling in the bar council after taking permission from the concerned department but not permitted to practice till retired from the department.

K P S SURESH (student)     25 October 2011

Reply by Adv.Loganathan is correct. But generally Govt allows those in legal cell to enrol while in service.

Hope you have acquired LLB few years back. The qualifying exam is a must for LLB graduates from 2009-10 onwards. Hope it will not be applicable to you.

B. D. Mohta (Company Secretary)     26 October 2011

In my opinion, when you are in employment you cannot practice till you retire from service. After that you have to enroll in Bar Council to become a practicing Advocate, till that time you have to wait. Thanks.

B. D. Mohta

Bangalore

Norbu Lama (Finance Officer)     27 October 2011

Dear Mr. A.P. Longanathan,

Sir, I shall be grateful if you could email me a copy of the Government regulation at laman57in@yahoo.co.in.

Thanks

K. V. D. S. PRAKASH RAO (Advocate)     27 October 2011

As a government servant in service, you can not enrol yourself as an advocate under the existing laws. However, on discharge from service, you can do so. Moreover, you need not go for enrolment tests if you got your LLB degree prior to 2009. The enrolment tests are meant for those pass-outs of 2009 onwards. 

A. A. JOSE (LAWYER; LEGAL ADVISER/CONSULTANT& TRAINER)     27 October 2011

As has rightly been opined herein above, the Bar Coucil pre-enrolment examination will have to be cleared only if you have obtained LL.B degree after the year 2009.   In that case, you can clear the same after your retirement also.  If  there is any Government Notification as stated by Mr.Longanathan, most probably, the same may be by  a particular State Government which may  or may not be applicable in your State.  However,  if Mr.Longanathan shares further details on the same, it would be useful to many others also.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register