Marrying a windower with a child


I am divorced single working in London under Tier 2 General VISA.

I want to marry an Indian widower who has a 10 months old son. Do I need to adopt the son as well to have his father's name as myself? What is the process of adoption and how long does it take?

Also, are you aware how can I apply a dependant VISA for them after marriage? Do I need to adopt the child officially or can he come as dependant of my new wife?



Once you marry her the child will become your son.  There is no need of adoption.  But the marraige should be done in India.  While applying VISA give an  affidavit to them explaining everything i.e. marriage of widow woman and about the child.  you will get dependent visa easily.


Best of luck and happy married life.

Marrying a widow will not have any legal problems. Widows child will automatically bear UR surname in future and there is no need for adoption. 


It is a good gesture that you have opted to marry a widow with a son. The marriage can take place in India as per the religion and caste customs so that the marriage will be bound by Indian laws. I have a different opinion of the widow's son becoming your child automatically.  However the infant child of your would be wife can be taken to abroad on a dependent visa of your wife on her passport itself. You may consult a local advocate for adoption of the child if need be.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum


  LAWyersclubindia Menu