Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shree. ( Advocate.)     11 March 2008

DRESS CODE FOR AN ADVOCATE

What is the dress code for an advocate?
The Bar Council of India Rules prescribe strict regulatioons as to an advocates dress code. An advocate has no choice in the matter of dress while appearing in court and may not be permitted to appear if incorrectly attired

Advocates appearing in the Supreme Court, high court, subordinate courts, tribunals or authorities must wear the dress prescribed, which must be sober and dignified. Male advocates must wear a black buttoned-up coat, chapkan, achkan or a black sherwani, and white bands with advocate's gown or a black open-breasted coat, white shirt, white collar, stiff or soft, and white bands with advocate's gown. In either case long trousers (white, black striped or grey) or dhoti must be worn.

Women advocates must wear black and full or half sleeve jackets or blouses, a white collar, stiff or soft, with white bands with advocate's gown. They may wear saris or long skirts (white, or black or any mellow or subdued colour without any print or design) or flare, or Punjabi dress (churidar kurta or salwar kurta, with or without dupatta), white or black.

Wearing of an advocate's gown is optional except when appearing in the Supreme Court or in a high court. In courts other than the Supreme Court, high court, district court, sessions court or city civil court a black tie may be worn instead of bands. Certain high courts such as the Delhi High Court permit advocates not to wear a gown during the summer months.

An advocate must appear in court, at all times, only in prescribed dress, and his appearance must always be presentable. An advocate must not wear bands or gown in public places other than in courts except on such ceremonial occasions and at such places as the Bar Council of India or the court may prescribe.
isclaimer

Learning

4 Replies

SANJAY DIXIT (Advocate)     17 March 2008

Thanks for the information.

Rakesh Pullamcheru (Student)     15 March 2017

Can i please have the entire details of dress code, and where it is published, I am practicing advocate, and i would like to wear a tie instead of band

nikita ray   20 May 2017

Thanks for the detailed infromation on advocate dress code for both men and women advocates, it was helpful a lot to me.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register