LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

disha   17 February 2016

Confused? can a married man live-in wid unmarried woman?

I am a married man, want to enter a live-in relation with an unmarried woman. I searched & researched and found the below - wikipedia article.

In line (c) it states that for live-in both should be unmarried. Is it true?

Question : If yes, doesn't a married man have the right to live-in with his partner, as the case would be lingering for years. Every man do have some needs. I do not want to be single anymore.

Is there any way?

The Supreme Court in the case of D. Velusamy v.D. Patchaiammal [7] held that, a ‘relationship in the nature of marriage’ under the 2005 Act must also fulfill the following criteria:

(a) The couple must hold themselves out to society as being akin to spouses.

(b) They must be of legal age to marry.

(c) They must be otherwise qualified to enter into a legal marriage, including being unmarried.

(d) They must have voluntarily cohabited and held themselves out to the world as being akin to spouses for a significant period of time, and in addition the parties must have lived together in a ‘shared household’ as defined in Section 2(s) of the Act. Merely spending weekends together or a one-night stand would not make it a ‘domestic relationship’. It also held that if a man has a ‘keep’ whom he maintains financially and uses mainly for s*xual purpose and/or as a servant it would not, in our opinion, be a relationship in the nature of marriage’.


FYI : My Wife Deserted me since 2011 may. It has been 5 years, she is not coming back, hence i filed a divorce in Thane. She wants me to give 20 lacs for divorce. I don't have. So, I filed contested divorce. 


 1 Replies

Adv. Yogen Kakade (+ 91 9225510883)     18 February 2016

No.. You cannot engage in any live in relationship as you are married.. you will be behind the bars if your wife files a complaint.

Adv. Yogen Kakade

Jurycon Incorporation

Advocates & Consultants
Web:   Call: 020-65248888

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query