Breaking Employee service agreement


I am a software developer working in an MNC company A from May 2017 and since I already had my US H1B visa from previous employer, company A decided to transfer in under their name and decided to depute me on an overseas assignment. Before initiating the visa processing they asked me to sign an employee undertaking which binds me to work with the same company for 2 years.

Now, after travelling to the US in April 2018 and worked with the company A for almost a year I had quit because I got a better offer from Company B in March 2019. Now the company A has sent a letter asking to pay 10,000 USD or 7 lakh INR as I broke the agreement. If not, they would initiate legal action against me.

Please advise what options do I have and can I not pay the recovery amount. Are these still valid to bind an employee?

As I broke the agreement in US is this agreement still uphold in India?


Please read the contract you signed based on which you were deputed to USA. And, act accordingly. Do not try to go into trivial technicalities which fo not help you if the company takes action.

Retired employee.

Respond suitably through advocate after the company proceeds against you legally.  This is more of ethics and values as abandoning a company after getting good opportunity for them, for your better opportunity is not proper.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


Search Forum:


  LAWyersclubindia Menu