LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

bonafied (assistant)     28 September 2023

65b certificate for emails and sms

I have emails sent from my email ID as evidence, SMS and WhatsApp evidence that needs to be submitted to the court. I have prepared the 65B certificate which will be produced along with the evidence that was mentioned above. I will carry the laptop and phone just in case for verification. Do I need any other expert to verify the electronic evidence or will the court itself in case of any doubt send it to FSL for verification with its own expenses. Do I need to pay anything or 65B certificate signed by me is enough?

Learning

8 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     28 September 2023

More than enough, if court suspects anything fishy the electronic devices can be send to forensic

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     28 September 2023

No. It is sufficient. Just make sure that the 65B certificated are recorded in the court register with regards to its court fees.

bonafied (assistant)     28 September 2023

@Pradipta Nath Should I print the certificate on Legal paper and affix Rs 20 stamp? how to register for court fees who do I approach for that.

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     28 September 2023

Yes you need to. Rs 10/- stamp. Ask your Advocate to register it.

bonafied (assistant)     29 September 2023

@Pradipta Nath I am party in person. I will complete cross examination next hearing. After 313 as part of defence witness. I will submit 315 application and get my evidence marked. I will print the 65B certificate on legal paper affix Rs 10 stamp is that correct. If you don't mind could you clarify.

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     29 September 2023

Yes you need to take printout on legal paper and affix Rs 10/- court fees. 

bonafied (assistant)     29 September 2023

Thank you very much for the clarification.

LCI Thought Leader Rajesh Tandon ( Col (Retd))     03 November 2023

Yes, the certificate is enough but make sure you fulfill the procedural requirements. 

Electronic records are increasingly being used as evidence in courts of law. However, in order to be admissible in court, the output of an electronic record must be filed along with a certificate under Section 65B(4) of the Evidence Act. This certificate must be issued by a person in a responsible position with respect to the computer from which the data is produced. The certificate must certify that the data and computer system meet certain conditions, including:

• The integrity of the data and computer system has been maintained.
  • The output of the electronic record was produced in a reliable manner.
  • The identity and particulars of the device used to produce the output (including the original device) have been verified.

The purpose of the certificate is to ensure the integrity of the source and authenticity of the data, so that the court can place reliance on it. This is important because electronic data is more prone to tampering and alteration than traditional paper-based records.

Here is a more detailed explanation of each of the conditions that must be met for an electronic record to be admissible in court:

• Integrity of data and computer system: This means that the data has not been altered or tampered with, and that the computer system used to produce the output is reliable and trustworthy.
  • Reliable manner: The output of the electronic record must be produced in a way that is accurate and reliable. This means that the data must be processed correctly, and that the output must be protected from unauthorized access or modification.
  • Identity and particulars of device: The device used to produce the output of the electronic record must be identified and verified. This includes the original device, as well as any other devices used to process or store the data.

The certificate under Section 65B(4) of the Evidence Act is an important safeguard that helps to ensure the reliability and authenticity of electronic evidence. By requiring a responsible person to certify that the electronic record meets certain conditions, the law helps to ensure that the court can rely on the evidence when making its decision.

In addition to the above, here are some additional points to consider:

• The certificate under Section 65B(4) of the Evidence Act is a mandatory requirement for the admissibility of electronic records in court. If the certificate is not provided, the electronic record will not be admissible in evidence.
  • The certificate must be issued by a person in a responsible position with respect to the computer from which the data is produced. This means that the person must have the knowledge and authority to certify that the conditions laid down in Section 65B(2) have been met.
  • The certificate must be in writing and must be signed by the person issuing it. It must also contain the date and time that it was issued.

If you are considering using electronic records as evidence in court, it is important to ensure that they are properly authenticated and that all of the requirements under Section 65B of the Evidence Act are met.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register