1. how to appeal maintenance from wife’s father income

I worked earlier in Private Sector. Now I am totally unemployed. Presently I have the burden of my old parents who never ever employed, their old age treatment, expense of 4-5 legal case, daily needs/living burden & 5,000/- p.m. to pay my wife  and having only my own parental very old home. My Wife’s father is retires from a very high position in Govt. sector. He have one son & one daughter i.e. my wife. My brother-in-law is well settled with his high profile job in Govt. sector. In this situation, is there any provision to claim maintenance from my wife’s father income. Please guide me with the section no., if any.


under section 24, either party can claim maintenance.



you can claim maintenance from you wife if she is working with handful of income and you have to prove the prospects and not you father in law or brother in law income will help in this case and u said your father in law is retired 


The chances are very bleak.  Even though s.24 allows any party to claim maintenance, as per the court judgements,  if the husband is healthy and capable of earning and is not   suffering from any ailment, the court will not grant such maintenance.

Practicing Advocate

You cannot claim anything from your FIL's income however rich he may be. Only if your wife is employed and earning well then, you can claim maintainance from her but nothing from FIL.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum


  LAWyersclubindia Menu

Indian Evidence Act     |    x