Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

'Dowry' Explained in Tanishq's advertisement

DOWRY explained in Tanishq's advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfYLu_MhLQQ

This is Tanishq's new jewellery ad. This is the real reason for justifying the existence of laws like IPC 498A and DV Act.

• The reality is that most Indian parents push their reluctant daughters into marriages.
  • The reality is that most women get married for the love of jewellery and riches.
  • The reality is that it takes a promise of gold for most women to agree to get married.
  • The reality is that an average woman in India agrees to get married because her parents promises her jewellery and property rights. THIS is the real 'Dowry'.
  • The reality is that most Indian women get married for all the wrong reasons.

Dowry is popularly imagined to be inducement to the groom for marrying the daughter. But the actual explanation of Dowry is clearly shown in this ad. And this is what is happening in India.

As soon as the glamour of the marriage ceremony wears off and the glitter of the gold fades to the reality of life, these gold-digging daughters of India start dreaming of escaping the drudgery of marriage. And they do it in style, aided by the Mengele of our time, the NCW.

• The rest is the reality of false criminal cases against husbands and their families.
  • The rest is legally aided butchery of men.
  • The rest is legally aided torment of fatherless children.
  • And the concentration camps of Indian Family Courts where the poisonous fumes of bias and oppression kills all voices of reason, conscience and the last whimpers of justice.
  • And all this for these women's lust for gold.

Learning

18 Replies

(Guest)

arun ji u are very right. how do you know so much. tat man cud not in even 25 yrs as shown in advt.

(Guest)

Well as Jaiswal rightly said in one of his posts, at my age I am supposed to do bhajan kirtan na so this is just some of my practiced ragas...........

(Guest)

mr jaiswal doesnt kno in west at 45 a person is young. and old after 70. probably hes old for his age. i mean biological age more than chronological age.

Renuka Gupta ( Gender Researcher )     22 August 2010

And what about women who sell their jewels for their children and for initial investment that husband had needed to set up his business? What about women who sell their jewels, the only asset they may be having, for meeting the emergency health expenses of  children and husband? What a picture of woman is being painted in this forum to the level of caricaturing her. We have seen our mothers--certainly some of us--and we have seen our friends--certainly some of us--giving up jewels for the purposes I have mentioned above, and yet we forget these realities when we construct a stereotype of woman which excludes her sacrifices, her cares, her adjusting in an alien environment, her attempts to be one with those who are near and dear to her husbands. Certainly we have seen such women in our cities, and villages, and they are not rarity or exceptions. 

RG

(Guest)

madam renuka ji, dont talk about ur mother. we are talking of women of your generation.

Not really. Yes I talked of women of my mother's age as well as of my age as well as of this age. If we are not open to look the realities which stand in contradiction to our own belief I think we are dehumanising ourselves irrespective of our gender. Our bitter experiences are not the only truth and not the absolute truth. This also is a truth that even in this age, there are more happy couples around perhaps than unhappy ones and there are couples who have separated with dignity. Now I am ready for such advice as go and beg and all that. Because we know just because here someone wishes to kill such girls and such wives, the wives and girls will not be killed, or who knows the one who has come up with this thought may do it as well, God be with him, if there is a GOD somewhere. 

RG

(Guest)

@ Renuka,

Exactly, respected ladies like you (here it is meant for you only) will never complain to Advertising Standards Association of India when "Tanishq" type of advertisement are aired and ask them "how dare they stereotype Indian women like this" ! But, on same breadth you (again said referring to you only)  will question aam adami like me who is brinigng these to public domain and criticize to your bottoms heart. This is hypocracy of a women exposed is what I say in anger today to you.

BTW you have strong academic and intelectual accuman which I noticed and if you can still write a complain from your side to Adv. Statndards...... then it is not too late to pull off such detrogatory adv. from air......is what I wanted to say in short take it in whichever way you want...

@ Arun ji

Perhaps you are judging in a hurry. I never touched the advertisement part, kept it aside for reading when I have a bit more time. These pieces which I have written, if you again see closely are reply to some of my brothers here. Now coming to the advertisement, do not you think my very replies go against the advertisement itself, painting a stereotypical image to the extent of caricature and stuff of that sort. How can I accept this advertisement? So look at my replies again. 

Sure, I will take up this issue. I had taken up something like this, on some advertisement, issued by Redisson Hotel, which had represented a women's body in the form of a sauce bottle and the hording was removed eventually with a promise that this creative would never be used again. So I do know how to go about it.

No issues with your anger! I am used to it now in this forum. 

RG

(Guest)

C'mon Renuka without seeing the visuals of the adv. you mention sterotypes in your very first message how you know what the creative team in the adv. were trying to convey without seeing the you tube video!

Here I am not referring to the rest of the writings below the weblink I understood you did not read them.

I did mention, because it does not take much time to visualise. And a bit and pieces of your writing, where some reference of women's love for the jewel etc. etc. perhaps I replied to you and later to others. Am not sure though. 

The creative I mentioned is that of Raddison Hotel. Ofcourse I did not watch the vedeo or read the matter under the weblink. will be doing later when I finished the work at hand. These replies are in between my own work, today being an especially busy day for me.

RG

(Guest)

Renuka jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Jai hon...ha ha

Sunday masala ha ha you have a special nack to make people melow down (with words) to your level (stop gap arrangment I call it / buying time...) liked that ............

Not really. I am just being honest. I work on Sundays too to meet deadlines and my daughter has her term exams, so it is literally juggling with everything. For me Sunday and Monday remain the same as I am a freelance and when there is an assignment it comes with tight deadline. 

RG

(Guest)

all the best...............let public posts remain public minus personal justifications in hand like I'm just traveling back to my office night shift after visiting my daughter on visitation date n sending replies sitting in Delhi's Metro does it make any sense... no na for that IM messenger is there ha ha  

tortured_aathma (none)     22 August 2010

Renuka ji you are talking about women selling their jewels, you must be living in 19 th century, in today's world women can sell themselves for more jewels and not for sake of their children(woh din beet chukey hai)

renuka ji i advise you to read newspapers one in a while where you can read news frequently where mothers are killing their children because of their love affairs.  i will surely send you the links for those news.  i think you read the newspapers also with feminist dark glasses/specs

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register