One may often ask, what does make a good lawyer? To answer this I have created an article to shed light on exactly such skills a lawyer must possess in order to be successful. Practicing as a lawyer requires a number of core skills and attributes which will be discussed below. Such core skills and attributes are varied for a lawyer and can be seen below.
1. Using evidence efficiently: firstly, a lawyer should be equipped with an in-depth understanding of the legislations which are connected to Evidence, Crime, Forensics, and concerned procedures. He is have an idea about how a story may play out through forensic evidence, and be able to find any loop holes in the matter. A lawyer must be able to use evidence provided efficiently in order to win over the opposition and win his case. Through the evidence can an entire story be played out, consequently, it is crucial for him/she to sift through what is important and what is not pertaining to the case at hand. In order to do so he/she must be able to comprehend how such evidence would have come about.
2. Research skills: a lawyer must able to research quickly and effectively is essential to understanding your clients, their needs, and to preparing legal strategies. In order to succeed at the procedure of legal strategies which requires absorbing and comprehending large amounts of information, then distilling them down into something manageable and useful. Which may include a sharp eye for attention to detail, with accuracy and efficiency. Take for example a single word out of place in a contract can change the entire meaning and context of the contract.
3. Comprehension Skills: a lawyer must be able to focus at any job is of umpteen important and while this may seem like an obvious skill, it is one that is extremely important for lawyers to master in order to be successful. The foremost reason is that lawyers are often stuck multitasking and juggling various tasks. Consequently, while solving a complex and multifaceted problem, they may also be frequently interrupted by clients and other members of the team. In a world where interruptions continue and it is different to isolate and create the perfect ideal environment for concentration to increase, a top lawyer has to work on their ability to focus so that they can solve the problems at hand and keep the error rate either low to non-existent. This goes without saying that the smallest detail that goes unnoticed can be detrimental to the result of the case as the opposition may use it against him/her. As once this is mastered, comprehension of even the tiniest detail must be followed for a successful case.
4. Negotation skills: for a lawyer negotiating is a key success factor that must not depart from the mouth of any good lawyer. To be certain in almost any case reaching agreements between the parties involved are essential in the profession. Therefore it is important for a lawyer to possess a bargaining skill that will allow you to reach good deals before falling into more cumbersome procedures.
5. Communication Skills: These two skills are related, and in order to be a good negotiator one must first acquire the skill of being good at communicating. It is easily understood that lawyers must be orally articulate, have good written communication skills and also be good listeners. These skills are required in order to argue convincingly in the courtroom before juries and judges, good public speaking skills are essential. Such communication and speaking skills can be developed during your studies by taking part in activities such as mooting or general public speaking. Furthermore, lawyers must also be able to write clearly, persuasively and concisely, as they must produce a variety of legal documents. Although, it’s not all about projection, one must be able to analyse what clients tell them or follow a complex testimony, a lawyer must have good listening skills.
6. Logical/Analytical thinking skill: in order to be a good lawyer one must possess the ability to look at any given situation and analyse all the possible aspects to the case from every point of view possible to help the case at hand. This skill is an extension to the above mentioned research skills as one must be able to go through large number of data and information and still be able to distil it into something manageable.
7. Active listening Skills: it goes without saying that a lawyer must not be a passive listener but truly an active listener as such quality and skill is required to understand the client and develop the case accordingly. The lawyer must develop the skill of being patient and carefully listening to what the client has to say.
8. Stress Management: it is proven time and time again that nearly all of the work that lawyers do requires problem-solving. Consequently, lawyers are solving problems for clients who are in difficult situations and stressed out themselves. Owing to this a lawyer must keep in mind that, he/she must be willing to put the client’s stress on your own shoulders and be able to keep your calm and composure. Therefore, it is absolutely crucial to able to manage your stress in the workplace, as it is a vital skill to a lasting career as an lawyer.
9. Being Organized: like most careers, lawyers too are expected to possess the skill of life being organized, this skill shows how serious you are as an individual, and this could speak a lot about your achievement. To enhance this point, becoming a good lawyer also depends on your level of good organization of both time and your job, knowing this secret shows you are one step closer to being a good lawyer. The legal profession will involve meeting and interview with client’s daily, daily paperwork, making a lot of phone calls, keeping to time over court proceedings and a lot more. Consequently, time management and compartmentalization is absolutely crucial skill for a lawyer to possess.
10. Creativity: last but the most important at skill a lawyer should possess is creativity. Even the very top lawyers are not only logical and analytical, but they display a great deal of creativity in their problem-solving methods. Therefore, it can be said that the best solution is not always the most obvious one and in order to outmanoeuvre your challenger it is often necessary to think outside the box.
It can be not emphasised enough that every profession has its driving force and the duties, for a lawyer it cuts across diverse sectors of our daily activities. Consequently, this article aimed at emphasising these skills one may need for your ideal career. These 10 are something that you can work on and develop over time. As the famous saying goes: practice makes perfect!