WHAT WAS THE INCIDENT
- The rape incident occured on July 25, 2021.
- Two minor girls had been raped on the Benaulim beach.
- The two girls were fourteen year old teenagers.
- The incident took place 30 kilometers south of the Goa capital, Panaji.
WHAT DID THE CHIEF MINISTER SAY
- The Chief Minister, Pramod Sawant made regressive comments about the incident.
- He said that teenagers, especially minors should not be spending time alone at beaches at night.
- He further went on to say that it was the responsibility of the parents of the minors to ensure that their child is safe and not alone at night.
- The remarks were made in the State Assembly.
- He said that the police and the Government could not be blamed for the victims staying ‘out late’ at night.
- He informed that the four accused persons had been arrested.
WHAT DID THE OPPOSITION SAY TO THIS
- The remarks drew a lot of criticism from all corners.
- Goa Congress spokesperson, Altone D’Costa commented that the freedom to move should not be restricted and law abiding citizens should be allowed to move around and criminals should be in jail.
- Independent MLA Rohan Khaunte asked that if the State Government can't assure the citizens of their security, who would be the one responsible for the same.
- Goa Forward Party MLA Vijai Sardesai said that the safety of citizens is the responsibility of the police and State Government. If they can't provide it, the CM has no right to sit in the post.
What do you think of this case? Let us know about your opinions in the comments section below!