NATIONAL NEWS SUMMARIES
1. SC upholds Cancelling Delhi Subordinate Service Board Selection
• In the case of Sachin Kumar & Ors v. DSSSB & Ors, the Supreme Court has upheld the cancellation of DSSSB in 2016.
• The Delhi Govt had ordered to cancel the 2014-15 selection process because of some systemic irregularities.
• “Recruitment to public services must command public confidence. Persons who are recruited are intended to fulfil public functions associated with the functioning of the Government,” opined the Court.
2. NLU Advisory Committee constituted by HP HC
• The Himachal Pradesh High Court has constituted an advisory committee for the Himachal Pradesh National Law University.
• Honorable Chief Justice of the HC will be the ex-officio chairman of the advisory committee.
• HPNLU was established in 2016.
3. Caveat filed by Javed Akhtar in the Kangana Ranaut’s transfer plea
• Lyricist Javed Akhtar had filed a case of criminal defamation against actor Kanagana Ranaut.
• However, Kangana Ranaut and her sister had filed a transfer petition to transfer the case to Himcahal Pradesh.
• A caveat has been filed by Javed Akhtar in that transfer petition.
4. Bombay HC directs Malegaon Blast accused to serve copy of documents to the other party
• Lt Col Prasad Shrikant Purohit, an accused of the Malegaon Blasts, has been directed by the Bombay HC to give a copy of whatever documents he’s relying on to the other party.
• The Court held that it is an open court and copies of the documents have to be served to the other party.
• “This is an open court, if you want to rely on any document, other side is entitled to receive it,” the Court observed.
5. Bombay HC directs Amazon Prime to take down Telugu movie ‘V’
• OTT platform Amazon Prime has been directed to take down the Telugu movie ‘V’.
• This was done on actor Sakshi Malik’s plea who had contended that there was a scene in the movie in which her portfolio picture was used without her permission.
• The present case was a defamation case for permanent injunction.
INTERNATIONAL NEWS SUMMARIES
1. Animal Welfare Law passed by Cuba
• The much awaited animal welfare law has been passed by the Government of Cuba.
• The citizens, especially animal rights activists, had been demanding for such a legislation for decades.
• The new law will prohibit all kinds of animal abuse and will take care of the health of the animals.