NATIONAL NEWS SUMMARIES
1. Madras HC on Investigating Officer’s Independence
• The Madras High Court has recently held that if in every case in which the accused gets acquitted allegations are made on the Investigating Officer for filing false charges, it would adversely affect the IO’s independence.
• The Madras HC held this in the case of A Radhika v. Wilson Sundaram.
2. Mother is the Best Person to take Care of Daughter in Teenage: P&H HC
• The Punjab & Haryana High Court in a recent case held that the mother is the best person to take custody of the teenage daughter.
• The High Court held this in the case of Rajat Agarwal v. Sonal Agarwal.
• “Particularly, the company of a mother is more valuable to a growing up female child unless there are compelling and justifiable reasons, a child should not be deprived of the company of the mother,” the Court opined.
3. Delhi HC’s Directions for Feeding Street Dogs
• A petition had been filed before the Delhi High Court against the Residents Welfare Association for creating hindrance in taking care of and feeding of street dogs.
• The High Court gave directions to fix a spot for the feeding of dogs.
• The Police was asked to ensure that the petitioner volunteers of Animal Welfare Associations are not harmed.
4. Harish Salve’s Claim allowed by ITAT
• The Income Tax Appellate Tribunal has allowed the claim of Harish Slave for including the monetary assistance provided by him to students to study law abroad would be included as incurred under expenditure exclusively for business or profession.
• This claim was allowed in the case of Harish Salve v. ACIT New Delhi in which section 37(1) IT Act was discussed.
5. Probe into Death of Elephant by Electrocution: National Green Tribunal
• A plea before the National Green Tribunal sought the fixing of accountability for death of an elephant who died by electrocution.
• The plea also sought the protection to all the other 40 elephants in Bandhavgarh, MP.
• NGT has directed the setting up of a Monitoring Committee by the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change to look into the matter.