What Are The Facts Of The Case
- The Centre Government by passing an order left the responsibility of procuring COVID-19 vaccines to state and private entities.
- No positive response from the manufacturers in the international market was received even though many orders have been issued by different States.
- It was also implied that the order issued by the Central Drugs and Standard Control Organization could be a stumbling block for major manufacturers who want to deal directly with state governments because it imposes several restrictions before an outsider manufacturer can supply vaccination for use by state governments.
- Former Finance Minister P. Chidambaram questioned The Central government’s direction asking If Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have not yet been approved for use by the Central government then how will they deal with or sell to the States?
- Several members of Congress chastised the Centre for asking states to negotiate directly with vaccine manufacturers, including foreign companies such as Pfizer and Moderna.
What Was The Court’s Decision
- MP High Court ordered the Central Government to take upon itself the responsibility of providing the State with the required number of vaccination doses.
- The High Court also directed the Central Government to set up more and more units in all states, with the necessary licences from local manufacturers, in order to ramp up vaccination production.
- The Court stated that the State Government should adequately increase the number of doses for procurement through the global tender based on the current requirement, especially when each person requires two doses for complete vaccination.
- The Court also noted that the country is currently facing an unprecedented crisis situation, one that has never been seen before and that the Central Government should consider the learned Amicus Curiae's suggestion that the rigour of the CDSCO's order be relaxed.
Do you think, the central government's order to states to procure vaccines directly from manufacturers in other countries was cynical? Let us know in the comments section below!