What was the opinion of Justice Jati Chelameswar?
• This statement was provided in the lecture that was delivered on January 4th,2021 as a part of the K.G Kannabiran Lectures on law, Justice and Human Rights.
• During the lecture Justice J. Chelameswar spoke about the how transparency and accountability of judicial appointments is cardinal for the survival of a healthy democracy.
• During this lecture he also emphasised on the need to maintain standards, efficiency, quality and periodic audit of the judges as well as the system’s performance.
• Being the second most senior judge of the Supreme Court, he emphasised on the importance of Judiciary being free from any interference from the side of the government.
What were the points made during his lecture?
• He highlighted that correcting the system was the only solution. Impeachment couldn’t help in it.
• When he was asked if there are sufficient ground to impeach the current CJI, he said that the stakeholders should deliberate over it.
• He also mentioned that the collegium is the body of shifting mass and one should always trust its nation
What is your opinion on the periodic maintenance of performances of the judges and judiciary? Let us know in the comment section below!