What Is The Case
- A 73 year old man living in Bangalore who wishes to return to Australia had filed a case before the Australian Court challenging the constitutional validity of the travel ban on the grounds of reasonableness and proportionality.
- The Prime Minister of Australia, Scott Morrison announced ban on travelers from India.
- Even Australian citizens returning to the country were to face jail time and heavy fines.
- This decision has been subjected to widespread outrage calling it to be racist and abandonment of vulnerable Australian citizens overseas.
- An estimate of 9000 citizens including the cricketers who were in India for the Indian Premiere League are forced to stay back in India.
- The Government stated that this ban was a necessary step to ensure that the quarantine facilities are not over whelmed with Covid-19 positive arrivals.
- The country has not seen community transmission of the virus but only outbreaks from hotel quarantine facilities.
- There are not many rights that are guaranteed by the Constitution of Australia.
- It is very unlikely for the challenge to succeed.
- The decision of the judges is likely to be titled towards the opinion of the government’s public health experts.
What Does The Court Have To Say
- The Court has accepted the challenge filed against the ban which has been scheduled till May 15.
- The case is posted for hearing.
What do you think of the travel ban in Australia and other countries? Tell us in the section below!