What Was The Case
- The Calcutta High Court took suo moto cognizance regarding Delayed Investigation in Criminal Cases on Wednesday.
- There had been 999 cases where the chargesheet had not been filed within the stipulated time frame.
- Some of the cases were as old as 10 years.
- The matter was being heard by Acting Chief Justice Rajesh Bindal and Justice Arijit Bannerjee.
- Information received from the Criminal Investigation Department of the State of West Bengal was placed before the Acting Chief Justice.
- The matter was to be taken up as a PIL.
- The Court reinstated that the only reasons which excuse non filing of chargesheet on time are pendency of the investigation, sanction for prosecution, arrest of the accused, non-receipt of lab reports, and collection of relevant documents.
What Did The Court Say
- The Court asked Advocate General Kishore Dutta to inform the Court as to whether other cases regarding delayed filing of chargesheet were present.
- Moreover, the Court directed that it was to be notified about the infrastructure of laboratories so that reporting is not delayed due to the testing facilities.
- Additionally, the reasons for the non filing of the chargesheet has to be placed before the Court.
- The next hearing on this issue is scheduled to be on June 28.
What do you think about this? Comment below to share your thoughts!
Tags : Others