- 41 people dead, while 25 rescued in an incidence of building collapse on 21st Sep
- NDRF deployed for rescue work at Jilani Building at Bhiwandi city in Thane
- The incident took place at 3:00am when most residents were in house and asleep
- Three days later Bombay High Court took Suo Motto cognisance
- Bombay High Court termed it as ‘A Very Serious Incident’
- The Court referred to Several Media Reports and called it “unfortunate”
- Despite several notices from Municipal Authorities, no action was taken to evacuate it.
ILLEGALITY! IGNORANCE! INCOMPETENCE
- Owner Sayyed Ahmed Jilani was noticed to vacate the building due to its tumbledown situation
- Last such notice was issued on February 2020
- Building was constructed in 1984, way before the formation of Municipal Corporation
- Two more illegal floors were constructed at a later stage
- No action had been taken by the civic authorities over the years.
RIGHT TO LIVE SAFE IS CONSTITUTIONAL
- "Every citizen has a right to live in a safe Building and safe Environment" court stated.
- Added that "Constitutional Right under Art.21 must be protected"
- Ward officers instructed to take timely steps to prevent similar incidents in future
- Notice issued to Municipal Corporations and the State of Maharashtra, next hearing on 15th October 2020.
DEAF AUTHORITIES! DEAD VICTIMS!
- Bhiwandi: 500 illegal buildings constructed in last 5 years
- Lack of quality construction inputs and design leading to loss of life on regular basis
- Nearly 74 lives lost in 2013Mumbra building collapse
- 75 lives lost in Thane in the last 25 years, due to collapse of nearly 16 buildings
- Ignorant Municipal Authorities, poor infrastructure contributing to rising death toll