What Did The Court Say
- The One Nation, One Ration Card Scheme must be implemented so that migrant laborers get ration benefits from anywhere in the country irrespective of the place of registration.
- The Bench consisting of Justice M R Shah and Justices Ashok Bhushan said that no excuses can be given regarding the application of this scheme.
- This judgement was given in the suo moto case of “In Re Problems and Miseries of Migrant Workers”.
- The Court also questioned the centre about the progress done with the development of the National Database.
- Senior Advocate Dushyant Dave brought attention to the non availability of benefits to unregistered migrant workers.
- He claimed that the Centre was trying to shift the burden to the States.
- Solicitor General Tushar Mehta contended that the Pradhan Mantri Gareeb Kalyan Yojana had been extended and the number of migrants had been identified.
- ASG Aishwarya Bhati also stated that 8 Lakh Metric Tonnes of foodgrains has been given to the States to be distributed.
What Was The Final Outcome
- The SC has directed the Central and the State Government to complete the registration process of unorganised workers.
- It highlighted the need to have a National Database for Unorganised Workers.
- Regarding the database, the Solicitor General agreed to speak with the NIC to complete the database in a time bound manner.
- The Court also directed the Centre to file a detailed affidavit regarding the same.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know through the comments.
Tags : Others