- The Supreme Court recently stated that a rape accused can be convicted solely based on the words of the prosecuterix if she seems to be trustworthy.
- Name of the case: Phool Singh vs State of Madhya Pradesh
- For this case, one of the contentions raised by the rape accused who was simultaneously sentenced under Section 375 of the Indian Penal Code was that the prosecution case lays exclusively on the testimony of the prosecutrix only and that no other autonomous witnesses have been inspected and additionally upheld the instance of the prosecutrix.
- While analyzing this conflict, the bench including Justices MR Shah and Sanjiv Khanna noticed that the prosecutrix has completely upheld the instance of the prosecution and has been steady right from the earliest starting point.
- The court additionally dismissed the accused's request to lessen the sentence considering the proviso to Section 376 IPC.
- Do you agree with the decision of the Supreme Court ?
- Do you think it’s justified for a rape accused to be convicted solely based on the statement of the prosecuterix ?
Share your views in the comments section below