- Justice Pushpa Ganediwala, whose recent verdict had produced bizarre events in the whole of legal fraternity, has been given an year extension as a judge of Bombay High Court.
- Previously, Supreme Court had refused her request to reinstate her as a permanent judge, her term was to end on Saturday.
- The appointment notification stated as follows “In exercise of power conferred by clause (1) of Article 224 of the Constitution of India, the President is pleased to appoint Smt Pushpa Virendra Ganediwala, to be an additional judge of the Bombay High Court for a period of one year with effect from 13 February 2021”
WHO IS JUSTICE PUSHPA GANEDIWALA?
- Pushpa Virendra Ganediwala is sitting additional judge at Bombay High Court, Maharashtra.
- She has been a major figure in adjudicating a number of cases pertaining the pandemic in the country.
- Was in news recently due to “Skin-to-Skin” judgement given, which concluded how a sexual assault cannot be termed as such without a skin-to-skin contact.
- A group of lawyers, however, has already written to the President along with the Chief Justice of India to reconsider their prime decision of withdrawing the Supreme Court collegium’s recommendation against Ms. Ganediwala’s elevation as the permanent judge of Bombay High Court
- After initiating her judicial innings as a district judge, Ms. Pushpa Ganediwala, 51, was appointed as an additional judge on February 8, 2019. Primitively, her name was in consideration for High Court’s additional judge in 2018, but wasn’t ascertained after a few judges made averse proclamations that led to the Supreme Court’s collegium deferring her appointment.
DO YOU THINK THIS IS THE CORRECT STEP? SHOULD SUPREME RE-CONSIDER? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENT SECTION BELOW!!