LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

R C Nigam (xxxxxxxxx)     19 May 2011

Worth of RTI Act

Is RTI Act-2005 dying its own death? The Act was passed with much fan fare, However, barring a few like Kejriwal or perhaps Mr Kuldip Nayar and Mrs Kiran Bedi, the number of fortunates who could extract the sought information is extremely low. It is rarely that some official is fined for not providing the information at all, what to say of within the mandated period.

It is perturbing that the Hon'ble Commission tows the line of bureaucracy and appears to be acting as an advocate of the Govt.

In a case of 1989-90, which remained subjudice up to 2005, and was vigorously contested by the Indian Railway, the records were requested to be examined in 2007, when the CPIO told that the records were not availabe. The request was repeated after sometime, presuming that the records might have been available by then, when the reply came that the records were not traceable. Request was again repeated, when the reply came that the records had been destroyed as preservation period was over. The Hon'ble Commission was dumb founded, toeing the official line and the applicant had no way out.

In yet another case the applicant submitted representations against injustice meted out to him. Finding no response, filed an application under RTI Act, requesting to provide him the decision taken on the representations. No information was provided. Appeal was prefered b4 the commission, where the CPIO argued that the RTI Act was not for redressing grievances and the Honble Commission tried to toe the same line, while the applicant could hardly convince the Commission that he had not come to Commission for redressing the grievance but for getting the SOUGHT INFORMATION.

Such attitudes shall give rise to frustration amongst the citizens, who may take law in their own hands and force to inept and corrupt persons to mend themselves or face the ..............

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)

Hi RC Nigam thanks for sharing this and please keep spreading awarenessm it is much appreciated

R C Nigam (xxxxxxxxx)     24 May 2011

In a fresh case (000645), which was heard on 19.5.11, how the PA misguided the Hon'ble CIC, is pertinent to be put up here for information of the members.

Regarding illegally withheld dues by the DRM/NR/Lucknow, since1989, 1993 and others, I submitted 3 representations to Sr DPO/NR(LKO, ADRM/NR/LKO, and the DRM. There was no reply. I filed an application before the CPIO,requesting to open the file, dealing the representations, for my inspection, and provide the decision taken on my representation as well. There was no reply. I filed an appeal before the AA, still there was no reply. I filed the 2nd appeal before the Hon'ble CIC. The CPIO started pleading that the some matter of payment has been sorted out and the applicant has been informed of the fact that his case is being handled by the personnel branch. He added more irrelvent things and the Hon'ble CIC was misguided with the result that the real question of providing the information was side tracked. All the arguments of the CPIO were blatant lie.However, the Hon'ble CIC has asked the CPIO to explain as to why the info was not given and also asked to sort out the matter.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register