Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     15 May 2012

Wome's groups welcome amendments in dowry act

Dowry Act change welcomed

Women rights groups welcomed the proposed amendments by the Ministry of Women and Child Development for adding more teeth to the Dowry Prohibition Act.

The proposed amendments to the act suggest there should be a provision for listing the gifts received at the time of the marriage, and a penalty shall be charged for not maintaining the list, and women should be allowed to file their complaints at the place where they lived. 

Krishna Tirath, union minister for women and child development, told Rajya Sabha during question hour on Thursday that a limit on expenditure was among the suggestions given by the National Commission for Women (NCW). But the proposal was still at a premature stage, she said.

Also, provision for protecting the husband against false allegations was not part of the bill at present. 

Dr Ranjana Kumari, Director of Centre for Social Research, Delhi said it was a welcome change. 

“Girls have to run around a lot to get their case registered. The biggest drawback is that the women have to travel to and fro from their native place to the city they have been married in. The amendment will ensure safety of women who are harassed by their spouse and in-laws and discouraged from registering a case,” she said.

Kumari was also part of the committee which presented its recommendations to the NCW an amendments to the Act. 

“Forming a list is mandatory according to the law but nobody follows it. When the marriage falls apart, the boy’s family denies taking expensive items and the girl’s family are unable to recall what they gave in dowry. We had included this point in our recommendation,” added Kumari.

According to Delhi police statistics, every third day a dowry death is reported in the city and only 207 out of 681 people arrested under the sections of dowry death in Delhi have been convicted of the charges. 

Gouri Choudhary, member of Action India, believes that the proposed amendments will help reduce the number of dowry deaths. 

“The figure stands at 8,000 deaths per year across the country,” she said.

Vandana Sharma, president of Nari Raksha Samiti in Delhi, said, “We need stringent legislation to curb dowry deaths. Also, there should be some relaxation of norms for men to ensure that women do not misuse their powers under this Act.”

https://www.deccanherald.com/content/246837/dowry-act-change-welcomed.html

Learning

3 Replies

Rajeshwari (software engineer)     15 May 2012

My HUSBAND parents (in laws ) sisters in laws demanded for cash  of 10 lakhs ..when my dad gave Demand draft they didnt accept it and said they need cash  and demanded it..They used senti dialogues of trust  ..my dad agreed for it and gave them cash ..how can  we get back those?? They  have taken money  infront of elders. Now  there is disturbance in marriage ..till now no one came forward  to solve the problem.....though my parents have intiated..They were curious of money  later  they insulted , harrassed us for more and more money 

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     15 May 2012

@haneeshareddy

LCI has given you the choice to post your problem in a new thread.So do that,if u want advice,if any

The above thread is discussing a general issue.It is not meant for posting yoir personal problems and trying to seek expert advice.

So kindly spare the above thread for general discussions only..

Hope u got it..

R K........ (Analyst)     16 May 2012

Court wants prove.. If u have given 10 Lakh or not given anything.. u need to prove in court

About the list.. which Roshni is talking about.. for this u also need some prove that these gifts have been received.. without any prove, the talks are baseless

e.g. if i say that i have given u 10 Lakh Rs and u r not returning.. Will police arrest u on this claim.. Thoda dimaag lagao.. and then talk

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register