LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

prince kanhya   16 January 2019

withhold scholarship

I am a phd student and getting financial support from MHRD in form of scholarship. In january-may 2018 semester my guide award me unsatisfacotary grade and due to this my scholarship withhold till earning the satisfactory grade.i got the following email

Dear Sir, 

With reference to the trailing mail, I am directed to request you to withhold the PhD scholarship of  Mr. Prince Kanhya, TA category w.e.f  May 15, 2018 till earning of satisfactory grade in his PhD Thesis Course, as per the  decision taken during 22nd meeting of the SPGC held on May 14, 2018, in view of the Institute policy (written in the last) on the matter.

Now i earned satisfacotry grade. But institute denied to provide my money from 15th may to 11th december. Officials are saying this is deducted as punishment. I asked to almost all officials but same answer.

My question is that if i get a email of withholding scholarship how can my scholarship will be denied? I can not do legal action right now otherwise institute can creat problem for my phd degree.

What to do to get my money 

institute policy is the following

Unsatisfactory performance in PhD Thesis course in a semester may lead to temporarily stopping of PhD scholarship until the student attains satisfactory grade in his/her PhD Thesis course. If a PhD student accumulates more than two US grades in XX 899 during his/her PhD program then that student may face early termination from the PhD program".

Learning

11 Replies

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     16 January 2019

Approach to the Ministry directly with copy to the PM else only option is to file writ before the concerned High Court.

sir i also want to know that i am eligible or not for the scholarship under the institute norms and in respect of mail which telling to withhold the scholarship..as institute denying and saying that withhold mean it is deducted in form of punsihment for your unsatisfactory grade

Do you have any written clarification from them stating this?
Need to check with the scholarship norms that you are awarded with. Please find out if there actually any norms or not! if not then the University is liable to prvide the allotted money to the beneficiary. 

norm is the following

Unsatisfactory performance in PhD Thesis course in a semester may lead to temporarily stopping of PhD scholarship until the student attains satisfactory grade in his/her PhD Thesis course. If a PhD student accumulates more than two US grades in XX 899 during his/her PhD program then that student may face early termination from the PhD program".

it is not clear at all as this norm is not telling about the money which stops temporairly. also the email i got is the folliwng

Dear Sir, 

With reference to the trailing mail, I am directed to request you to withhold the PhD scholarship of  Mr. Prince Kanhya, TA category w.e.f  May 15, 2018 till earning of satisfactory grade in his PhD Thesis Course, as per the  decision taken during 22nd meeting of the SPGC held on May 14, 2018, in view of the Institute policy.

what is the meaning of withhold with respect to institute notm and above email? do i eligible to get the scholarship for that period?

In that case they are bound to disburse your scholarship amount.

Please file a RTI and seek a clarification that under which rule they have done so?

And also what is the detail of the grievance forum and the appeallate authority if there is a dispute to this respect?

Place your grievance before the authority in reference to the reply and I believe you will get what is yours! In case there is no grievance forum your recourse lies only with the Writ of Mandamus or Certiorari.

thanks sir for your reply but in present circumtances i can't fill rti or petition to highcourt as i am in phd and my phd degree will be in danger if i follow any such steps. what i can do except this. do i wait till earning my phd degree? as it it will take atleast 1 to 2 years to earn phd degree. or something else i can do?

yes your P.hd may be at stake due to vengeance. Anyway choise is yours!

Yes. But can i fill the writ after completing my phd, or is there any time bound that i have to fill the rti or petition within the specific period? As court should understood that what consequences a student can face if he go for legal action. Please tell me?

prince kanhya   23 January 2019

hello sir please reply for the raised question

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     23 January 2019

Yes you can file writ after completing your P.hd. Even you can filr RTI at any point of time!

prince kanhya   23 January 2019

Thanks sir for the reply once again, sir can you tell that how strong my case based on the details provide by me till now?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register