Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Supratim Paul (E)     02 August 2013

Will it be advisable to purchase b katha plot in bangalore

Hello,

I am willing to purchase a PLOT in Bangalore. The area comes under BBMP. The plot is a B Katha plot . I would like to know whether it will be advisable to purchase B Katha plot ? Request to please provide you suggestion and also what are the legal document regired to see when purchasing the plot.

Supratim.

Learning

2 Replies

ASHWIN.R.ANEPPANAVAR (Advocate)     02 August 2013

hi 

Got to look into the papers in detail. Other factors do matter when it is is B katha property. my number is 9886612434

Supratim Paul (E)     03 August 2013

The Bruhat Ban­ga­lore Mahana­gara Palike (BBMP) has a sys­tem of extract­ing prop­erty tax from unau­tho­rized res­i­den­tial or com­mer­cial plots which in gov­ern­ment par­lance is known as the Rev­enue Land. There is a sep­a­rate reg­is­ter main­tained by BBMP where details of tax col­lected from such rev­enue lands are recorded which is known as ‘B-Register’. Ini­tially this sys­tem was intro­duced to facil­i­tate con­ver­sion of agri­cul­tural lands to non-agricultural lands for includ­ing in the BBMP periph­ery so that civic ameni­ties can be extended to them. But the B-register grad­u­ally began to be known as B-Khata and there is a lot of myths sur­round­ing this B-Khata reg­is­tra­tion as peo­ple have been mis­us­ing this title to serve their self­ish vested motives.

B-Khata Is Not a Proper Document

Many prop­erty own­ers have mis­taken the B-Khata reg­is­tra­tion as a valid doc­u­ment of their prop­erty. Many Palike offi­cials have been mis­guid­ing and encour­ag­ing peo­ple to get their prop­erty reg­is­tered in B-Khata to facil­i­tate easy con­ver­sion and reg­is­tra­tion of their prop­er­ties. In fact, BBMP only keeps a record of the prop­erty tax col­lected from such rev­enue lands but that itself will not be treated as an own­er­ship deed.

The whole issue of this bogus B-Khata was raked up by the oppo­si­tion leader of JD(S) in the Kar­nataka Assem­bly who pointed out that a large num­ber of houses are being con­structed under B-Khata as a bla­tant vio­la­tion of the orig­i­nal KMC Act 1976 and the by-laws of the BBMP. In fact, the KMC act men­tions noth­ing about B-Khata and there­fore, there is noth­ing in sup­port of this on paper.

What is this con­tro­ver­sial B-Khata?

As already men­tioned above, there is no men­tion of the word B-Khata in the KMC Act of 1976 and it is a mis­nomer for the B-Register which the BBMP main­tains sep­a­rately to record the details of prop­erty tax col­lected from unau­tho­rized com­mer­cial or res­i­den­tial plots and these rev­enue lands are con­verted by the Deputy Com­mis­sioner for pro­vid­ing civic facil­i­ties and entered them into this B-register.

It has come to light that some BBMP offi­cials have been advis­ing and mis­lead­ing peo­ple to go ahead with build­ing houses even if the plans have not been sanc­tioned by the munic­i­pal author­i­ties but if their account is appear­ing in the B-register after pay­ing the prop­erty tax. Peo­ple have also been mis­guided by these offi­cials that they can get their prop­er­ties reg­u­lar­ized through a scheme known as ‘Sakrama’ which facil­i­tates easy reg­is­tra­tion of such prop­er­ties. This is not true and it is being encour­aged with a malafide inten­sion of mak­ing some extra income for them through cor­rup­tion and bribery.

Conclusion

Should I buy a plot with B Khata?

The word ‘Khata’ sim­ply means an account and B-Khata indi­cates that a par­tic­u­lar per­son has paid the prop­erty tax for a rev­enue land but it does not enti­tle the per­son to the absolute owner of the land. He can­not sell his prop­erty pos­ing as the prop­erty owner with­out under­go­ing the proper reg­is­tra­tion and doc­u­men­ta­tion pro­ce­dures. Now the BBMP com­mis­sioner has declared that this pro­ce­dure is ille­gal. It seems that addi­tional efforts will have to be made to edu­cate the pub­lic about the inva­lid­ity of B-Khata.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register