Upgrad LLM

who's brain child is rti act ?

Advocate.

Who's Brain child is RTI Act ?

Dear All Learned members,

I am very happy with the concept of RTI (Right To Information) Act.... And the changes its making in the life of comman man in india....Well I always wonder who's brain child it is....or is it imported from any foreign country (I am afraid england .... because  still we use lots of ACT passed by those people.... during there regime in india ! )

Lawyer

Anna Hazare, Ahmednagar , maharashtra [ an ex serviceman Social worker ] was instrumental in getting the act passed. However the state delayed appointment of Public Inforrmation Officers for about a year but ultimately it was done. Apart from this there is also another Act " The Maharashtra Government Servants Regulation of Transfers and Prevention of Delay in Discharge of Official Duties Act, 2005 " which is also a very potent Act.

lawyer

thanx rajan for the information

Advocate

Disclosure of Government Information in India is governed by a law enacted during the British rule over large parts of what is now India, the Official Secrets Act of 1889 which was amended in 1923. This law secures information related to security of the State, sovereignty of the country and friendly relations with foreign states, and contains provisions which prohibit disclosure of non-classified information.Civil Service conduct rules and the Indian Evidence Act impose further restrictions on government officials' powers to disclose information to the public. In 1975, the Supreme Court delivered a landmark judgement (State of U.P v Raj Narain AIR 1975 SC 865)  on the citizen's Right to Know.

RTI & CONSUMER ACTIVIST

India is the 87th country in the world to have RTI. The concept is imported. Indian rulers cannot think of such progressive empowerment of we the people.....However, S/shri Aruna Roy [Rajashthan], Anna Hazare [Mahara], Arvind Kejriwal [Ex-IRS officer, Delhi], Shailesh Gandhi [ IIT engineer and industrialist in Mumbai ]etc are among the group which made it possible this in India.  I quote

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change a nation; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

-Dr. Margaret Mead

RTI & CONSUMER ACTIVIST

Now it is upto the citizens to effectively and tirelessly use it to change the way we are being governed. 60 year old anti-citizen mentality of babus will take at least 6 years to change and to realise that in democracy the citizen is the ultimate AUTHORITY.

This is peoples’ law in action. If you think, things are not proper; do not blame-ACT to change. 1000 MILE journey begins with the first step!

Advocate.

Dear Friends,

Thanks to one and all for your timely reply in details.It really help many in and around the country about the origin of RTI act in India.

Legal consultant

In Kolkata Police and in most of the departments of Government of West Bengal you will become tired of seeking information but no one will part with the same .The on record  example in West Bengal is the fact that  99% of its departments have not complied with the basic provisions of RTI act 2005.All the information concerning the departments are shrouded till today in mystery. Kolkata Police provides information which is mostly a pack of lies. No one dares to challenge them out of fear of persecution or prolong legal battle and expenses involved in it. adil

Advocate

As pointed out by J.P.Shah, its not only in India RTI exist. Yes, in all those States RTI came into existence through the sacrifices of some people, but I must add that United Nations is the main actor for giving birth to RTI in all those countries. RTI does not just fall down from the blues but through the various working of the UN in the field of discussions on Poverty which led to the discussions on Corruption and this again led to issue of good governance and transparency and finally "Power to the People" was the only ultimate solution: Thanks to all those involve in giving  birth to RTI in this country but we must give credit to UN that is how I sincerely feel about RTI.

urologist &legal studies

thanks to all forelaborate discussion.united states is a country of libertyand has got remarkable contribution.i expected mr assumi to mention official secrecy Act made by British.in wb official position is very slow reason is known to many.drscpratihar

LEAVE A REPLY

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Search Forum

Menu

CrPC MASTERCLASS!     |    x