LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     18 February 2010

What is punishment?

According to law - sending one to jail or impose a fine in terms of money - is punishment.

But is it really a punishment to him?

Learning

13 Replies

B.S MANJUNATH (ADVOCATES)     18 February 2010

punishment is not law, reformation is th spirit.  However it is ridiculed because we do not own our country and as citizens of one country do not connect  with each other constitutionaly. Moment we realise the same we will understand that mistakes in civilised should be dealt not purnitively, but in the context of reformation and pardon.

Daksh (Student)     19 February 2010

Dear All,

It is said and believed that at least Criminal wrong is against the society at large and with a view to segregate those who have committed the wrong and with a view to create deterrent in the civilized society the concept of jail is being in use.  

The worse punishment then that of sending to prison and monetary fine is "SOCIAL RIDICULE AND LIFETIME DETERIORATION" to second class citizen for once and all - life is this - this is life - at least in INDIA.

BEST REGARDS

DAKSH

Dear All,

Ooops I forget to add "PUNISHMENT TO AN INDIVIDUAL IS ALSO PUNISHMENT TO THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS"

Best Regards

Daksh

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     19 February 2010

Mr. Dakshs

your second posting i wanted to raise. 

by punishing one we ont only punish a particular person, who deprived  from his personal liberty under art 21 of the C.O.I. but also we punish the entire society by this or that reason.

Hi Arup,

I am heartened by your interest in the subject : What I wanted to add is that on account of prevalent social norms in our society its not what the Law and for that reason statute states that along with an individual the whole family should also suffer but in reality because there is no social, economic or moral security - ours is a society where might is right and yes I do agree with you that those who are at the helm of affairs are indeed punishing the society for their individual gains (as we watch in awe the politico, power and money game).

The discussion can go on go on endlessly.  Needless to say I don't want to raise any personal issue with you and all my comments are only my objective observations - more academic than pointed one - inadvertantly if I have hurt you or your feelings I regret the same. God bless.

Best Regards

Daksh 

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     19 February 2010

Sometimes, we read that in USA doing community service is also a form of punishment. in Sikh religion, when one is punished, he is called upon to clean the utensils in Gurdwara, visitor's shoes and do such odd jobs.

If I remember rightly, I think, two worthies Giani Zail Singh and Buta Singh were awarded this punishment and they carried it out.

Long ago, I saw a movie where the actor, who had killed the only bread winner of the family, was sentenced to till their land, feed them, look after the parents and carry out all that a son was enjoined to do.

Therefore, sending to jail is not sufficient. There have been cases of influential convicts (recall Manu Sharma) being granted parole and landing straight into a pub to guzzle liquor. Let the guilty be condemned to serve the society. Why should the society feed him and look after him in jail?

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     21 February 2010

MR Daksh,

you did not hurt me at all. why did you feel so?

yes anil sir - community service may be a good minor punishment. good suggestion.

it is a general complain that when a small crime-doer sent to jail, he returned back  as a big one.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     21 February 2010

The wooden headed politicians won't listen and understand.

Shree. ( Advocate.)     21 February 2010

A punishment is a way of repaying what you have done wrong. 'punishment', in other words, is a kind of reward or compensation for wrong doing.

Sk Akbar Ali (akbar)     21 February 2010

indian constitution

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     21 February 2010

Correct:

Indian Constitution.

MR Shree,

Punishment is a kind of reward or compensation for wrong doing.

if it is so, then why not a tooth for  a tooth & an eye for an eye ?

why we try to protect the human rights of a prisioner?

Anil sir & mr akbar, - the only two words 'indian constitution' - means? sorry, unable to understood.

i see, wooden headed person can not understand the constitution.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register