Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

akjoshi   25 May 2015

Validity of credit card settlement letter through email

Dear Sir,

Kindly guide me on my credit card settlement issue;

I got a credit card settlement letter (pdf attachment) through email from HDFC Bank on 19th May 2015. Email is from name.xxxx@hdfcbank.com and the mail's signing domain is hdfcbank.com. Since I am not living in original destination, hard copy may or may not reach me.

Content of settlement letter

Settlement amount: 51500/-

Tenure of repayment of settlement amount : One

Mode of Repayment: Cash / Cheque

I have few queries before making payment against my defaulted dues;

1. Is scan copy of settlement letter sent through email is valid one ? Will it stand in court of law in case of any dispute ?

2. Settlement letter has a clause - "No payments will be accepted by the bank in the settlement terms post the 25th of every calendar month except the first installment."  -- Can I pay even after  25th May 2015? or should i have to pay on this 25th may.

3. No where the terms "Full and Final Settlement" is mentioned. Every where it is mentioned as settlement? Is this ok to close my a/c.

Anticipating your kind help in this regard.

With Regards,

Joshi

Learning

11 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     25 May 2015

First of all find out whether the email is designated from hdfc bank,U have mentioned xxxx@hdfcbank.com,I think it is not correct.

akjoshi   25 May 2015

xxxx@hdfcbank.com means ravi.sharma@hdfcbank.com

and google's gmail shows its from hdfcbank.com domain.

Thanks

The official email id cannot be on individuals name.U have to respond only if U receive it from the concerned recovery dept of the bank.

akjoshi   25 May 2015

I believe that every email coming from a domain is responsibility of the  domain owner. Content of email is binding on owner of the originating domain.

What IT Act says about it?

Pls correct if I am wrong.

Regards

Could be a fictitious domain. Why don't U go to the bank and verify UR self.

slakshmanrao (accounts officer)     25 May 2015

The fact is about definite out flow of cash if not by means of cash proper.Bankers should necessarily return back the cancelled documents duly authenticated.This has to be applied first.Then wait for the response...

(Guest)

better to get something in  a hard letter that has a seal signed on it..

you live abroad, so what..just designate a local address and have them send it over there or send a representative to collect it..

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     29 May 2015

From the contents of your post it appears to be an ambiguous mail.  It may be reliable or it may be a false one.  Instead of suspecting over its reliability and trust worthiness and to avoid being cheated by a fraudulent message, better correspond to the bankers directly and seek their clarification through postal mail and not email. The bankers, even after settlement will come out with hidden dues at a later stage when you approach them for the letter of discharge, so do not run a risk and be clarified properly. 

Biswanath Roy (Advocate)     03 June 2015

Better you give POA to one of your close relative who is competent enough to deal with the settlement on your behalf  and can directly negotiating with the Bank authorities to close the chapter.

slakshmanrao (accounts officer)     03 June 2015

Aggrieved parties need to insist for letter of total clearance duly authenticated.Secondly,Banking Industry should return back the executed documents with cancellation endorsement.If second part is ommitted,there is every possibility to make unauthorised interpolations to have claims beyond the ceiling in the name of business.Legal route will be of very great help to ensure final closure of the Credit Card Account.

slakshmanrao (accounts officer)     03 June 2015

Contacting Bankers is also risky because the Banking Industry is in the habit of charging Rs.500/-(Rupees Five Hundred only) for each visit.Better option is legal route...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register