LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mrs Nayana ( Manager)     16 April 2010

Urgently Need Advice

Dear Esteemed Members, I am a Hindu girl got married to a Jewish boy in the year 2002 under marriage act 1954 with 3 witnesses.We have got the registered certificate of the same.I did not get converted in to his reigion. I have recently heard that a BMC marriage certificate is required now. For this both the couple should be of the same religion. I do not want to get converted in to Jew nor my husband wants to get converted in to Hindu.Is our marriage invalid.Will we have any problems in future incase of claim or successor rights?If yes please advice.


 5 Replies

Mrs. Hetal Sunil Shah (Advocate)     17 April 2010

Hon'ble Prabhakar is right. follow his advise.

AMBUJ KUMAR (PARTNER)     25 April 2010


Your marriage was held under Special Marriage Act and the marriage certificate is VALID for all purposes and intents. 

The special Marriage Act" has been passed when both boy and girl belong to different religions and they want to marry.

You can remain Hindu and he can remain Jew and you both can enjoy your religious freedom (your fundamental right) while your marriage is totally legal and valid.

Kamal Grover (Advocate High Court Chandigarh M:09814110005     27 April 2010

You dont require any other provision coz your marriage is already registered.


Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     02 May 2010

what is bmc?

your marriage solemnized under the special marriage act, 1954. the certificate issued at that time is valid for all purposes. that is your marriage registration certificate. no other marriage registration certificate required for. if anybody asks you for marriage registration certificate,for any usefull purpose, just show him the original certificate and if necessary, give a photocopy of the certificate. do not worry. it is fully valid, and no problem.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register